What is the probability of merging two poisson processes?

In summary, the question asks for the probability that two independent Poisson processes, P1 and P2, will merge and occur at the same time. The formula for calculating the probability of merging two independent Poisson processes is that the sum of the two processes follows a Poisson distribution with the sum of the parameters of the individual processes. In this case, the probability of two computers breaking and five lightbulbs going out at the same time can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event occurring.
DavidSmith
Consider a poisson process one (P1) with a frequency 'a' and if it happens 'k' times you get (e^-a)(a^k)/k!

and then you have another posssion processs that happens in the same time frame of P1 called P2 with a frequency of 'b' and if it happens 'z' times you get (e^-b)(b^z)/z!

So what is the probability that P1 merges with P2?

For example if is observed that a computer breaks once every 2 days and a lightbulb goes out every 4 days what is the probability that in one week two computers will break at the exact same time 5 lightbulbs go out?

I know this problem has something to do with the poisson distribution but I don't know how to merge these events to get an answer.

I went to wikipedia and searched on the net and couldn't find any exmaples of such a problem that deals with two events.

I found somethign on wikipedia that says:

If N and M are two independent random variables, both following a Poisson distribution with parameters λ and μ, respectively, then N + M follows a Poisson distribution with parameter λ + μ.

I know the the probabilities of both events happening are less than the probability of just one, but I don't think you can just multiply the probability of event each together to get the final probability of both events happening at the same time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If they are independent Poisson processes, you just multiply the probabilities. The probability that five lightbulbs will go out over a period of time in which two computers break is the probability that five lightbulbs go out over that period times the probability that two computers break. I don't know what you mean by "exact same time," unless you mean one week.

What is a Poisson distribution?

A Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that models the number of occurrences of a specific event within a specific time interval or unit of space. It is often used to analyze rare events or count data, such as the number of customers in a store or the number of accidents on a road.

What is merging Poisson distributions?

Merging Poisson distributions refers to the process of combining or merging two or more Poisson distributions into a single distribution. This can be done by adding the probabilities of the individual distributions for each possible outcome.

Why would you need to merge Poisson distributions?

Merging Poisson distributions is useful when you want to analyze the combined data from two or more sources that follow a Poisson distribution. It allows you to get a more accurate representation of the overall data and make better predictions.

How do you merge Poisson distributions?

To merge Poisson distributions, you can use the Poisson distribution function or formula, which involves adding the mean and variances of the individual distributions. Alternatively, you can use statistical software or tools to merge the distributions automatically.

What are the limitations of merging Poisson distributions?

One limitation of merging Poisson distributions is that the individual distributions must be independent of each other. This means that the outcome of one distribution should not affect the outcome of the other distribution. Additionally, the merged distribution may not accurately represent the data if the distributions have significantly different means and variances.