Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays .

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays".

What's with all this objection to saying "Merry Christmas"? What's next? Objecting to saying "happy Halloween" because people who don't celebrate Halloween might get offended?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays".

Objection by who to who? If a person doesn't celebrate Halloween, they won't wish you a happy Halloween or appreciate it if you wish them one. I have a Jewish boss. Since I know he's Jewish, why would I wish him a merry Christmas?

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3

I'm talking about wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" if someone doesn't know whether or not someone celebrates Christmas. What's next? Objecting to wishing random people a "happy Halloween" because one doesn't know whether or not they celebrate Halloween, and someone who doesn't celebrate it might get offended by it?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. Dec 23, 2012 #4

Drakkith

It's just been blown out of proportion by most people because of political correctness. I don't tell someone who says "god bless you" when I sneeze that i don't appreciate it. I simply say thank you, as I know they had a good meaning behind it. Since most people do celebrate christmas I'm probably going to tell most people merry christmas around this time of year. They can choose for themselves whether to tell me not too or just accept it as a "have a nice day" kind of deal.

6. Dec 24, 2012 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are you offended by happy holidays? I rather say happy holidays, since that covers the load and why would anyone care that I don't wish them a merry Christmas?

7. Dec 24, 2012 #6

Evo

Agree, absolutely. This time of year has holidays for more than one religion, and nonreligious people also celebrate the generic holiday spirit. (christians, don't forget this isn't really the date of Jesus' birth, it was a pagan holiday and the Catholic church wanted to take people away from the pagan holiday, so pretended it was his birth as a reason to celebrate in their church).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_and_how_did_Christmas_start

8. Dec 24, 2012 #7

Not once in my life have I heard anyone object to saying Merry Christmas. However, there are some people who will wish you happy holidays, (which includes Christmas, I would imagine) or welcome you with seasons greetings this time of year. In fact, in the shopping malls, they do it every day starting a week before Halloween. The stores are an interesting case. When you walk into a store during this two month long holiday season (remember, Christmas is only one day, the two month long festival is Clausmas), you will find Christmas decorations all over the place. There are holly wreaths, Christmas trees, gift wrapped packages with long ribbons and whatnot. If the store is a large one, you can bet there was a team of professional marketeers who sweated every detail of those decorations. The color, the size, the placement were all decided based not on the amount of merriness that they wished your Christmas would have, nor on the happiness of your holidays, but on how much money it would make you spend. If some clerk said happy holidays to you instead of merry Christmas three weeks before Thanksgiving, it's because some suit told them to do so in order to increase sales.

One final word. There really is a holiday, rival to Christmas, which has been called Clausmas. This holiday is in all of its traditions, a war on Easter.

9. Dec 24, 2012 #8

People who don't know each other well still greet each other. How often do two Jews wish each other a merry Christmas, neither knowing the religion of the other?

10. Dec 24, 2012 #9

A guy behind the counter in a Mexican restaurant in a Mexican neighborhood told me a woman went off on him for wishing her a Merry Christmas. From the level of upset he described, she was clearly a PC bully. That's the only incident I've heard about, though.

11. Dec 24, 2012 #10

He may have been born on December 25th. How can we know he wasn't? I used to work with a guy who was part of a Christian sect that celebrated Christmas in January. They claimed that's when Jesus' true birth was. I'm glad they know the specific date Jesus was born, since we don't know that he even existed in the first place.

12. Dec 24, 2012 #11

Christmas is Dec. 25. What day is Easter?

13. Dec 24, 2012 #12

If he was born on Dec 25th, why would the Catholic church have had to move the date?

There were two big holidays for pagans... the winter solstice and the vernal equinox. Hey, Jesus was born on one and died on the other! What a coincidence.

14. Dec 24, 2012 #13

jim mcnamara

Monroe's Restaurant good NM food, in Albuquerque, my favorite is their carne adovada. Out front of the place is big big lighted sign:

Code (Text):

Merry Christmas!
    Oops.
    Happy Holidays!

Waiter said somebody complained so they added Happy Holidays. I guess that was the PC police in action.

15. Dec 24, 2012 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Half correct. The relation to the vernal equinox is because of the relation to Passover. which is itself tied to Spring.

You are correct that there is no strong evidence that Jesus of Nazareth was born on December 25th, or any other particular day. (I can argue for and against a winter birth on Biblical grounds) You are also correct that many cultures (not just "pagans") have a holiday near the winter solstice - for many reasons, it's a good time for a holiday. The Feast of the Nativity entered the calendar some time in the 4th century, and it was not intended to be a "birthday party for Jesus" then. It was a minor holiday then, and Epiphany (the Twelfth Day of Christmas) was the more important one. Sometime around the year 1000 Christmas became the more important one.

16. Dec 24, 2012 #15

jim mcnamara

Jimmy is correct about dates and times relating Christmas:

Dionysius Exiguus fixed the start of the years (Anno Domini) in the first version of the Christianized Julian Calender - which continues in the Gregorian Calendar, the one in use in a lot of places today.

He replaced Diocletian years with Anno Domini.
    -- see the Anno Domini section here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysius_Exiguus

Anno Domini is not the year Jesus was born. Wikipedia shows a range from 7BCE to 2BCE. According to Wikipedia: There is no historically correlated month (or day) of Jesus birth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus#Year_of_birth

Personally, it matters not - I enjoy the season when we celebrate it.

17. Dec 24, 2012 #16

Actually, I don't know. Isn't Easter one of those holidays that doesn't have a fixed day?
    But is there a connection I'm missing?
    I didn't know they did move the date. Why did they have to move it? And how does that relate to his real day of birth?
    It's a coincidence that Mark Twain predicted when he'd die.
    Coincidences happen.

18. Dec 24, 2012 #17

Why doesn't it have a fixed day?

19. Dec 24, 2012 #18

Astronuc

Think lunar calendar and it's relationship to the calendar based on earth's revolution around the sun.

20. Dec 24, 2012 #19

So why is Easter's date set according to a lunar calendar and Christmas according to a solar one?

21. Dec 24, 2012 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before this gets locked, I just wanted to say that I have never, not once, not ever, heard anyone state that they were offended when I said "Merry Christmas" to them. I've never even overheard it. I've never even heard a first-hand account of it happening.

I have, however, repeatedly, yearly, over and over (and especially now with facebook cranks making a big deal of it) heard people being offended by "Happy Holidays."

The fictitious "war against Christmas" gives the whacky fringe something to complain about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook