Messed up somewhere in my integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a given equation and the calculation of a specific value at a certain point. An error in the integration is identified and corrected, leading to the correct solution. The conversation also includes a tip for using proper notation in mathematical expressions.
mr bob
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= -x^{-3}[/tex]
when t=0, the particle is at rest with x=1
Therefore by integrating i get
[tex]v = \sqrt(x^-2 - 1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \sqrt(\frac{1 - x^2}{x^2})[/tex]

[tex]dx\frac{x}{(/sqrt(1 - x^2))} = dt[/tex]

[tex]-\sqrt(1 - x^2) = t + C[/tex]

[tex]C=-1[/tex]

Therefore:-

[tex]t = 1 - \sqrt(1 - x^2)[/tex]

However i can't get the answer [tex]t = \sqrt(15)[/tex] when [tex]x = 1/4[/tex]. I think i messed up somewhere in my integration. I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you,
Bob

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you add the constants well after integration? If you show your works of integration it would be easy to check.

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= -x^{-3}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2 = \frac{x^-2}{2} + C[/tex]

As at rest when x = 1, v = 0
then C = -1

[tex]v = \sqrt(x^-2 - 1)[/tex]

Then i continue to integrate as above.

Last edited:
You didn't multiply C by 2 in the third step.

But isn't C just a constant. Which wouldn't matter if i multiplied it by 2 or not.

Sorry it was a typo. I preesed enter by mistake.
Check the sign at t = -(1 - x^2)^-2. It is correct till there.

Thank you very much. My maths has been pretty bad over the last couple of days (you can tell by the number of posts).

By thw way, you should use \sqrt{} rather than \sqrt()

1. What does "messed up somewhere in my integration" mean?

"Messed up somewhere in my integration" is a phrase commonly used by scientists and researchers when they encounter an error or issue while integrating different components or systems in their experiment or study. It implies that there is a mistake or problem somewhere in the integration process that needs to be identified and resolved.

2. How can I identify where I messed up in my integration?

The best way to identify where you messed up in your integration is to carefully review and analyze each step of the integration process. Check for any discrepancies or errors in the data, code, or settings. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their insights and suggestions.

3. What are some common mistakes that can lead to errors in integration?

Some common mistakes that can lead to errors in integration include using incompatible software or hardware, incorrect data types or formats, and overlooking crucial steps in the integration process. It is also important to double-check for typos or human errors, as these can easily cause issues in the integration.

4. How can I prevent errors in integration from happening?

To prevent errors in integration, it is crucial to have a solid understanding of the components and systems being integrated. Thoroughly plan and test the integration process before implementing it, and ensure that all software and hardware are compatible. It is also helpful to have a backup plan in case any issues arise during the integration.

5. What should I do if I cannot fix the error in my integration?

If you are unable to fix the error in your integration, it is important to seek help from colleagues, experts, or the technical support team of the software or hardware being used. It may also be necessary to re-evaluate the integration process and make necessary adjustments or seek alternative methods of integration.