Metal platings on glass and reflection in a mirror

In summary: It's always best here at the PF to do some reading first, and then ask specific questions about your reading if you don't understand something. That's a good way to learn about new things. Especially with the Internet, it is easy to find good articles to do initial reading. Have a look at this Wikipedia article to see if it is a good starting point to learn more about how reflection works:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror
Biniamin Piash
Which metal platings on glass will provide 100% reflection as a mirror?
In which case we will get an brighter image than the actual one in mirror?And in which case it will be darker?Which metal(used for platings) will absorb a very little amount of ray? Can anyone give the explanation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Biniamin Piash said:
Which metal platings on glass will provide 100% reflection as a mirror?
In which case we will get an brighter image than the actual one in mirror?And in which case it will be darker?Which metal(used for platings) will absorb a very little amount of ray? Can anyone give the explanation?
What reading have you been doing so far about mirror surfaces and reflection? Can you post some links to that reading, and ask specific questions about which parts you don't understand? :smile:

berkeman said:
What reading have you been doing so far about mirror surfaces and reflection? Can you post some links to that reading, and ask specific questions about which parts you don't understand? :smile:
I didn't read anything about it recently.I just thought about it.
I heard that every metal(which is used for coating) absorbs some ray,thats why they can't give 100% reflection.So,I want to know which metal can give maximum reflection?And do the coating have any impact on image?

Biniamin Piash said:
I didn't read anything about it recently.I just thought about it.
I heard that every metal(which is used for coating) absorbs some ray,thats why they can't give 100% reflection.So,I want to know which metal can give maximum reflection?And do the coating have any impact on image?
It's always best here at the PF to do some reading first, and then ask specific questions about your reading if you don't understand something. That's a good way to learn about new things. Especially with the Internet, it is easy to find good articles to do initial reading. Have a look at this Wikipedia article to see if it is a good starting point to learn more about how reflection works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror

:smile:

1. How does metal plating affect the reflection in a mirror?

Metal plating is a process in which a thin layer of metal, such as silver or aluminum, is applied onto the surface of glass. This layer of metal reflects light, creating a shiny and reflective surface. In a mirror, this metal plating is responsible for the majority of the reflection that we see.

2. Why is glass used as the base for mirrors?

Glass is used as the base for mirrors because it is a smooth and flat surface that allows light to pass through it. This makes it ideal for applying metal plating and creating a reflective surface.

3. How does the thickness of the metal plating affect the reflection in a mirror?

The thickness of the metal plating can affect the reflection in a mirror. Thicker layers of metal will result in a brighter and more vivid reflection, while thinner layers may result in a dimmer reflection. However, the type of metal used can also impact the brightness and clarity of the reflection.

4. Can metal plating on glass be used for purposes other than mirrors?

Yes, metal plating on glass can be used for various purposes other than mirrors. It can be used to create reflective surfaces for decorative purposes, such as in jewelry or home decor. It can also be used for practical purposes, such as creating reflective surfaces for solar panels or headlights in cars.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect the reflection in a mirror with metal plating?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light hits the surface of a mirror, affects the reflection in a mirror with metal plating. When the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the mirror's surface, the reflection will be clear and undistorted. However, as the angle of incidence increases, the reflection becomes distorted and may even disappear entirely.