Metal Wire Suspended in an electric field, any current produced?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jxh022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've read that the atmosphere has a gradient of 100 V/m as altitude increases. My question is, if I suspend a low resistance wire vertically so that each end of the wire resides in a differently charged region of the atmosphere, would a current be produced in this wire?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jxh022 said:
I've read that the atmosphere has a gradient of 100 V/m as altitude increases. My question is, if I suspend a low resistance wire vertically so that each end of the wire resides in a differently charged region of the atmosphere, would a current be produced in this wire?
The different electric charge means there will flow electric current through a wire which short circuit the difference.

Vidar