Metal Wire Suspended in an electric field, any current produced?

In summary, the atmosphere has a gradient of 100 V/m as altitude increases and suspending a low resistance wire vertically with each end in a differently charged region of the atmosphere will result in a current being produced due to the difference in electric charge.
jxh022
I've read that the atmosphere has a gradient of 100 V/m as altitude increases. My question is, if I suspend a low resistance wire vertically so that each end of the wire resides in a differently charged region of the atmosphere, would a current be produced in this wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
jxh022 said:
I've read that the atmosphere has a gradient of 100 V/m as altitude increases. My question is, if I suspend a low resistance wire vertically so that each end of the wire resides in a differently charged region of the atmosphere, would a current be produced in this wire?
The different electric charge means there will flow electric current through a wire which short circuit the difference.

Vidar

1. How does a metal wire suspended in an electric field produce a current?

When a metal wire is suspended in an electric field, the electric field exerts a force on the free electrons within the wire, causing them to move. This movement of electrons creates a flow of charge, which is known as an electric current.

2. What factors affect the amount of current produced by a metal wire suspended in an electric field?

The amount of current produced by a metal wire suspended in an electric field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the properties of the metal wire (such as its length, diameter, and conductivity), and the resistance of the wire.

3. Can a metal wire suspended in an electric field produce a current in both directions?

Yes, a metal wire suspended in an electric field can produce a current in both directions. This is because the electric field can be reversed, causing the direction of the force on the electrons to change, and therefore the direction of the current.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the electric field and the current produced by a metal wire?

The strength of the electric field and the current produced by a metal wire are directly proportional. This means that as the strength of the electric field increases, the current produced by the metal wire will also increase.

5. How does the resistance of a metal wire affect the current produced by an electric field?

The resistance of a metal wire affects the current produced by an electric field by impeding the flow of electrons. A higher resistance means that more energy is required to move the electrons, resulting in a lower current. This is described by Ohm's law, which states that the current in a circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance.