Demystifying Knifemaking: The Truth About Heat Treating and Tempering Blades

• Thread starter Woody101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metallurgy
In summary, there is a lot of misinformation and alchemy in the world of knifemaking, especially when it comes to heat treating and tempering blades. Some bladesmiths believe in the "3 theory" of annealing, normalizing, quenching and tempering three times each, while others believe that repeating these processes does not provide any additional benefits. The most common tool steels used are 1084, 1095, 52100, and 5160. Metallurgists have extensive knowledge on heat treatment for steels, but there are no set rules as it greatly depends on the alloy used. Triple quenching has been shown to reduce grain size, but other processes such as normalizing,
Woody101
My hobby is Knifemaking. In the knifemaking world there is so much mis-information and out right alchemy regarding heat treating and tempering blades that actual fact often becomes lost.

Many bladesmiths subscribe to the 3 theory. That is anneal, normalize, quench and temper 3times each. I know that triple quenching can shrink the grain size in the steel, but others believe that annealing and normalizing can also get the same results.

My understanding is that annealing softens the metal and makes it workable and normalizing relaxes the stress from forging. All the information I can find on normalizing indicate a soak time at temperature and slow cooling in air but nothing I can find indicate there is any benefit to repeating the process. The same goes with tempering. My understanding is that it is a function of time at the tempering temperature not the cycling of the metal to tempering heat repeatedly that allows the transformation from Martensite to Austenite.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can sympathize with the aspect of some "knowledge" being close to alchemy (I like that description). That happens in a lot of places/areas.

I have heard of forging processes using double tempering, but not doubling up on any of the other processes. I can't imagine what doing the others 3 times over gets you. If you heat the part up to the propertemperature and hold it long enough, you are doing everything you need to do. Unless there is some form of work being done on the part in between. What alloys do you guys usually deal with? Are they typically tool steels?

Annealing = a "resetting" of the internal structure and relieving internal stresses due to working. Normalizing = a way to refineme and make the grain structure uniform. Dmittedly, our metallurgists have some very thick books that cover every type of heat treatment for steels. IMO, there are few fast and set rules because they are highly dependent on alloy used. The only rule of thumb that I have found safe to follow is that if you heat and then quench in water you will get more distortion/change than if you were to quench in air.

Astronuc is the real materials guru here.

Thanks Fred. Everything I have been able to find indicates the same as what you said. The steels used are some of the more common tool steels, some of the high carbon steels such as 1084, 1095, and even ball bearing steel like 52100, spring steel 5160.

Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel
John D. Verhoeven, Emeritus Professor, Iowa State University shows that significant grain size reduction can be obtained by triple quenching. However, the information that I have been able to find indicated that the other processes, normalizing, annealing and tempering are a function of time at temperature rather than the number of times the metal is heated to temperature.

I won't even go into the myth that you need to be facing Magnetic North when quenching the blade to avoid having the Earth's magnetic field put an uneven pull on the blade and cause it to warp. :)

Most of the blades are oil quenches as a water quench is more severe and tends to crack some of the higher carbon steels.

1. What is heat treating and why is it important in knifemaking?

Heat treating is the process of heating and cooling a metal in a controlled manner to change its physical and mechanical properties. In knifemaking, this is crucial as it determines the hardness, strength, and edge retention of the blade.

2. How does heat treating affect the quality of a blade?

Proper heat treating can significantly improve the quality of a blade by making it harder, tougher, and more resistant to wear and corrosion. It also helps to achieve the desired balance of hardness and toughness for a specific type of knife.

3. What is the difference between heat treating and tempering?

Heat treating involves heating the metal to a specific temperature and then quenching it to achieve the desired level of hardness. Tempering, on the other hand, is a secondary heat treatment process that involves reheating the metal to a lower temperature to reduce its brittleness and increase its toughness.

4. Can any metal be heat treated and tempered?

No, not all metals are suitable for heat treating and tempering. Generally, only high-carbon steels and certain tool steels can be effectively heat treated and tempered to make knives. Other materials may require different methods of hardening and strengthening.

5. Is it possible to overheat or over-temper a blade?

Yes, it is possible to overheat or over-temper a blade, which can result in a weaker and less durable blade. It is essential to closely follow recommended temperature ranges and cooling methods during the heat treating and tempering process to avoid these issues.