Solving DE Using Multiple Methods: Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors, and More

• Thread starter encorelui2
  • Start date
In summary, you might try solving the system of equations: y_1'=7y_1+4y_2+4y_3-3eiωty_2'=-6y_1-4y_2-7y_3y_3'=-2y_1-y_2+2y_3+3eiωt
encorelui2
People I am fairly new with dealing with DEs (and here I was thinking I got it all :palm: )
Any who: I am working on some problems here and the professor wants us to use 2 methods to solve this DE. My issue is I can't figure out what the 2nd method is!
(dY)/dt=AY +F
[itex]^{Y}[/itex] = [7,4,4; -6,-4,-7; -2,-1,2] and [itex]\textbf{}F[/itex] = [-3;0;3]e[itex]^{-iwt}[/itex]
Initial contions: $$Y(0)=\begin{pmatrix} 1\\ -2\\ 3\end{pmatrix},\; $$

I was able to find the eigenvalues & eigenvectors; hence the particular & general solutions. My issue i s I don't know of any other method to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is [7,4,4; -6,-4,-7; -2,-1,2] a matrix?

So you wrote:
$$Y=\begin{pmatrix} 7 & 4 & 4\\ -6 & -4 & -7\\ -2 & -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix},\; F=\begin{pmatrix} -3\\0\\-3 \end{pmatrix}e^{-i\omega t}$$ ... did I read that correcty?

Anyway, did you try writing out the three DEs and solving them individually?

Simon Bridge said:
Is [7,4,4; -6,-4,-7; -2,-1,2] a matrix?

So you wrote:
$$Y=\begin{pmatrix} 7 & 4 & 4\\ -6 & -4 & -7\\ -2 & -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix},\; F=\begin{pmatrix} -3\\0\\-3 \end{pmatrix}e^{-i\omega t}$$ ... did I read that correcty?

Anyway, did you try writing out the three DEs and solving them individually?

Yes u read that correctly. Wait! Are u saying to create something like this:

7y1 + 4y2 + 4y3 - 3eiωt
-6y1 - 4y2 - 7y3
-2y1 - y2 +2y3 + 3eiωt

Simon Bridge said:
If Y is the matrix, as in post #1, then ##\frac{d}{dt}Y = AF## expands to: $$\frac{d}{dt}\begin{pmatrix} 7 & 4 & 4\\ -6 & -4 & -7\\ -2 & -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix} = A \begin{pmatrix} 7 & 4 & 4\\ -6 & -4 & -7\\ -2 & -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} -3\\0\\-3 \end{pmatrix}e^{-i\omega t}$$
... which doesn't make a lot of sense...

From your continuation, I suspect you mean:

$$\frac{d}{dt}\begin{pmatrix}y_1\\y_2\\y_3\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} 7 & 4 & 4\\ -6 & -4 & -7\\ -2 & -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}y_1\\y_2\\y_3\end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} -3\\0\\-3 \end{pmatrix}e^{-i\omega t}$$

My previous suggestion was anticipating a particular response ... naughty of me :)
What I mean is that you know more than one way of handling DEs ... I have to go, so I'll just leave you with these notes:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/SolutionsToSystems.aspx

Just look at the system different ways and see if there are ways to simplify it or make intellegent guesses ... maybe it will be susceptable to Laplace transforms?

It can be solved by successive substitutions:

[itex]\begin{cases}y_1'=7y_1+4y_2+4y_3-3e^{i\omega t}\\y_2'=-6y_1-4y_2-7y_3\\y_3'=-2y_1-y_2+2y_3+3e^{i\omega t}\end{cases}\\\\
\begin{cases}y_1''=7y_1'+4y_2'+4y_3'-3i\omega e^{i\omega t}\\y_2'=-6y_1-4y_2-\frac{7}{4}\left(y_1'-7y_1-4y_2+3e^{i\omega t}\right)\\y_3'=-2y_1-y_2+\frac{1}{2}\left(y_1'-7y_1-4y_2+3e^{i\omega t}\right)+3e^{i\omega t}\end{cases}
[/itex]

Now we substitue for [itex]y_3'[/itex]. Next we can eliminate [itex]y_2[/itex] in a similar way. Finally we get equation of 3rd order with [itex]y_1[/itex] only.

I would look for eigenvalues and eigenvectors of that coefficient matrix. I find that the characteristic equation is [itex]r^3- 5r^2- 45r+ 153= (r- 3)(r^2- 2r- 51)= 0[/itex]. The eigenvalues are 3 and [itex]1\pm\sqrt{51}[/itex] all of which are real numbers.

An eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue is (0, 1, 1).

I haven't tried to find the Eigen vectors corresponding to the other two eigenvalues. I suspect they are rather messy.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the methods for solving DEs?

There are several methods for solving DEs, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using integrating factors. Other common methods include power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.

3. How do I determine which method to use for solving a specific DE?

The choice of method depends on the type of DE and its initial/boundary conditions. For example, if the DE is separable, then the separation of variables method can be used. If the DE is linear, then we can use integrating factors or Laplace transforms. It is important to understand the properties of each method and the type of DE it is best suited for.

4. Are there any strategies for solving difficult DEs?

Yes, there are some strategies that can be applied to solve difficult DEs. These include transforming the DE into a simpler form, using substitutions, and breaking the DE into smaller parts that can be solved independently. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties and behaviors of different types of DEs.

5. How do I check if my solution to a DE is correct?

There are a few ways to check the correctness of a solution to a DE. One method is to substitute the solution into the original DE and see if it satisfies the equation. Another method is to compare the solution to known solutions or to use numerical methods to approximate the solution. It is also helpful to check the initial/boundary conditions to ensure they are satisfied by the solution.