Metric Prefix Help - Find 2mL=200L

• Thread starter Nerdydude101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary: If it is, then the answer is that there is no such prefix. If it isn't, then the answer is that 200_L is not 2 mL, and there is nothing more to add.In summary, the conversation discussed various prefixes and their meanings in relation to converting between different units of volume within the metric system. It was noted that while unconventional prefixes such as 'centimilli' and 'decimilli' may be used at institutions like Berkeley, they are not recognized by the official SI system. Ultimately, it was concluded that there is no single prefix that can be used to convert 2 mL into 200_L.
Nerdydude101
I keep trying to find a certain metric prefix but i can't seem to find it, i need to know what prefix makes 2mL into 200_L i believe it is 10^-5 but i can't find that on any charts. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nerdydude101 said:
I keep trying to find a certain metric prefix but i can't seem to find it, i need to know what prefix makes 2mL into 200_L i believe it is 10^-5 but i can't find that on any charts. Any help is much appreciated!

It's not clear what you are looking for.

2 mL = 2 milliliters = 0.002 L

the prefix here is 'milli', which means 1/1000.

200 L = 2 hectoliters

the prefix here is 'hecto', which means 100.

In both cases, the base unit is the liter.

It would be meaningless to say 1 MmL, or 1 Mega-milli-liter, which would equal

10^6 * 10^(-3) = 1000 Liters

Basically he's asking...
If 10^-2 meters is a centimeter and 10^-3 is a millimeter then what is 10^-5 meters.
What I found is centimilli is the prefix before micro and decimilli precedes that

Last edited by a moderator:
They do a lot of weird things at Berkeley.

http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_8_en.pdf

On p. 122 of the document above, compound prefixes are expressly prohibited.

I looked at your link but could not find the table reproduced in Post #5. Perhaps someone hacked the page, which has now been fixed.

That prefix doesn't exist. That table from Berkley is unorthodox.

I went to the page but didn't see any of the unorthodox prefixes.

That's because the table is given here: http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/links/weights/metric.php

(Not that I am saying it is correct, just clarifying what the chrisbradysr was talking about).

Last edited by a moderator:
It just goes to show that anyone can post anything on the Internet.

Anywho, we should be past appeals to authority in this case. Combined prefixes are not allowed in SI, period, and Berkeley is doing their students a disservice when teaching them SI with unconventional prefixes, IMO.

I just simply gave a prefix for what he asked. I never said it was universally accepted. Which is why below I said "for what ever it's worth"

chrisbradysr said:
I just simply gave a prefix for what he asked. I never said it was universally accepted. Which is why below I said "for what ever it's worth"

That's why at PF we like to point out these things in our replies, because there are some members who, as students, may not realize that something is not universally accepted. On occasion, we get people trying to disseminate certain ideas (like perpetual motion) and other crackpottery, which is against forum rules.

Now, I can't say what passes for science in the august halls of Berkeley, but I am surprised that such clearly non-standard applications of the SI unit convention are apparently so current that they have crept into the website of the Chemistry Department there.

Well, they ( Berkeley ) do say it is metric, with no mention of it being as accepted SI.

The pdf, though, continues to also say that cc is not the accepted way to write a unit of volume, but that has been around for ages.

I guess their ( the pdf ) main concern is to have anything written to be void of confusion. Is a centimilli necessary. It is confusing just by looking at it.

SI and metric are two different things (for example, the hectare is metric but is not SI), and the author did specify "metric".

Vanadium 50 said:
SI and metric are two different things (for example, the hectare is metric but is not SI), and the author did specify "metric".

IIRC, the OP wanted to know what 'prefix' made 2 mL into 200_L, whatever that means, so it's not clear if that distinction is significant to the poster.

1. What is the base unit for volume in the metric system?

The base unit for volume in the metric system is the liter (L).

2. What is the relationship between milliliters (mL) and liters (L)?

One liter is equal to 1000 milliliters.

3. How do I convert between different metric prefixes for volume?

To convert between different metric prefixes, you can use the fact that each prefix represents a power of 10. For example, to convert from milliliters (mL) to liters (L), you would move the decimal point three places to the left.

4. Can you give an example of converting between different metric prefixes for volume?

Sure, to convert 2 milliliters (mL) to liters (L), you would move the decimal point three places to the left, resulting in 0.002 liters (L).

5. How does this relate to the given example of 2mL=200L?

The given example is incorrect. It is not possible for 2 milliliters (mL) to be equal to 200 liters (L). This may be a mistake or a typo.