1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mg reaction with Ethanoic acid

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    Mg reaction with Ethanoic acid....

My Teacher told me that if we react any group 1 metals with Ethanoic acid, then it's "OH" will be replaced by metal. E.g

Na + 2CH3CO2H------> CH3CO2Na + H2

But he said that if we react any metals from group 2 then reaction will happen like this...

1, Mg(s) + 2CH3CO2H(aq) ----> Mg(CH3CO2)2(aq) + H2(g)

however, i asked him whether this was right:

2,Mg(s) + 2CH3CO2H(aq) ----> (CH3CO2)2Mg(aq) + H2(g)
    He said that this is absolutely wrong! But in my 2 Chemistry course books also from Chemistry websites i saw this, the above reaction is shown. So my question is: which one is correct way to write this reaction, 1 or 2?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

The only difference between both is Mg(CH3CO2)2(aq) vs (CH3CO2)2Mg(aq), so in fact your question is not about the reaction, but about correct way of writing formula for magnesium acetate. This is salt and in general when dealing with salts we write metal first.

Sometimes it makes sense to write formulas in slightly different manner, as they are more readable then (this is especially true when dealing with organic acids), but for now stick to metal first, anion later.
  4. May 26, 2008 #3
    So that means both are correct? and you prefer equation reaction no. 1? right?
  5. May 27, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

You can put it that way.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?