Help Model Michelson-Morley Experiment | Learn Aether Theory

• Thread starter MarcAnthony
  • Start date
In summary, the Michelson-Morley experiment was an attempt to detect the aether and prove that light requires a medium to travel through. However, after conducting the experiment with laser beams and the Earth's rotation, they found no difference in the speed of light and proved that the aether does not exist. This experiment is similar to firing guns in a moving car, where the bullet fired forwards will have a greater velocity due to the car's movement, but the bullet fired sideways will maintain its normal speed. The purpose of the experiment was to measure ether drift, but it ultimately disproved the existence of the aether.
MarcAnthony
Help with Modelling the Michelson-Morley Experimnt.

Hi Everyone, i have this assignment due in 2 weeks its on recreating a Model in class of the Michelson-Morley experiment to detect the aether. My first problem after a lot of research on youtube clips and just general study is, why?
I understand that they were trying to prove that light needs a medium to travel therefore they were trying to discovder the actual medium it does.
I did go to my teacher and asked her and she said a way to Model the experiement would be to hang a pendulum off a string have a fan blowing against it and release the pendulum each time, however I am struggling to see what relevance that has with the experiment.
So Could someone please tell me in lamens terms or with a good analogy what the MMX was actually trying to prove how it was conduct.

- I have read the textbook and i just can't grasp it i have never had this before its really fustrating. Please help thankyou, ask for any added information and i wil be glad to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michelson-Morley ??!

Hey guys would someone be able to explain in lamens terms the Michelson Morley experiment and what it was trying to achieve, i just cannot grasp it i understand that they were trying to find out if light requires a medium to travel through, however, what relevance does this have to the experiment, also could someone use adifferent analogy that isn't the swimmers one that just confuses me more. Thanks

If you are traveling in a car with two guns. You fire one forwards and one sideways. The bullet you fired forward will be going faster than the other because the bullet will have the added velocity of the car. But the car has no sideways component of velocity so the bullet you fired sideways will travel at its normal speed.

Basically this is what they did with laser beams and the earth. But they measured no difference in the laser beams and experimentally proved the constancy of the speed of light regardless of the speed of the source.

I think the originally were trying to measure ether drift but basically proved that the ether does not exist.

Related to Help Model Michelson-Morley Experiment | Learn Aether Theory

1. What is the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century to measure the speed of light in different directions in order to detect the existence of a hypothetical substance called the "aether." This experiment played a crucial role in the development of the theory of relativity.

2. What were the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The results of the Michelson-Morley experiment were unexpected and groundbreaking. They showed that the speed of light is the same in all directions, regardless of the motion of the observer or the source of light. This contradicted the prevailing belief at the time that light traveled through a medium called the aether.

3. How does the Michelson-Morley experiment support aether theory?

The Michelson-Morley experiment actually disproved the existence of the aether. The experiment showed that there was no medium through which light traveled, and instead supported the idea that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames, which is a key principle of the theory of relativity.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

There have been alternative explanations proposed for the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment, such as the idea that the aether is dragged along by the Earth's rotation, or that the aether is a dynamic and undetectable substance. However, these theories have not been able to fully explain the results of the experiment and have been largely rejected by the scientific community.

5. Why is the Michelson-Morley experiment still important today?

The Michelson-Morley experiment is still important today because it revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental principles of physics. It paved the way for the development of the theory of relativity and helped to disprove the existence of the aether, which was a widely accepted concept at the time. The experiment also serves as a reminder of the importance of empirical evidence in scientific research and the need to question and challenge existing beliefs and theories.