1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Midpoint Question/

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    Hey guys, I have a simple question that's giving me some intuition issues. The midpoint between two points being (X1+X2)/2. To me, I can't really get this to make sense... intuitively I'd think the formula should be (X2-X1)/2 + X1. I mean, I see why it wouldn't be used with the latter formula being the more involved one. But my problem is, unlike the second formula - I just don't intuitively recognize the first as a solution to this simple problem.

I'm taking college physics right now, and while this isn't a detriment to my understanding of the subject... it's still bugging me!

Thanks in advance :).

EDIT: Ya know, never mind on this question. Flawed logic FTL! X2/2 +X1/2.. duh! Not sure how that passed my filter. Realized this right about as I hit submit... lol :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    The midpoint between x and y is defined as the point lying on the segment xy and equidistant to both points. Try to work out what the formula needs to be.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I was going to point out that (X1+ X2)/2= (X2- X1)/2+ X1 but I guess that is not necessary now!

But surely you could have recognized that (X1+ X2)/2 is their average and the average of two numbers is exactly half way between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook