Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Midpoint Question/

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    Hey guys, I have a simple question that's giving me some intuition issues. The midpoint between two points being (X1+X2)/2. To me, I can't really get this to make sense... intuitively I'd think the formula should be (X2-X1)/2 + X1. I mean, I see why it wouldn't be used with the latter formula being the more involved one. But my problem is, unlike the second formula - I just don't intuitively recognize the first as a solution to this simple problem.

I'm taking college physics right now, and while this isn't a detriment to my understanding of the subject... it's still bugging me!

Thanks in advance :).

EDIT: Ya know, never mind on this question. Flawed logic FTL! X2/2 +X1/2.. duh! Not sure how that passed my filter. Realized this right about as I hit submit... lol :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    The midpoint between x and y is defined as the point lying on the segment xy and equidistant to both points. Try to work out what the formula needs to be.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I was going to point out that (X1+ X2)/2= (X2- X1)/2+ X1 but I guess that is not necessary now!

But surely you could have recognized that (X1+ X2)/2 is their average and the average of two numbers is exactly half way between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook