Migrating makefiles from Unix to Windows

• Thread starter zevik
  • Start date
How do I use a Unix-originated makefile on Windows Vista? Is there any simple guidelines for migrating the makefile such that it works?

Answers and Replies

Um... it depends... 1st thing I'd try would be Cygwin. That would probably be the only thing I'd try under Windows. Migrating... just no! Without a POSIX subsystem(like Cygwin/Interix), there just isn't a feasible way to do it.

The problem comes from the fact that Windows and *nix are totally different, and almost completely incompatible. The makefile is likely to depend on certain executable that come standard on *nix being on your system, but they won't be there.

Basically, if your going to use *nix tools, it's easiest to install a *nix. There are Linux distros for people who are used to Windows. I think "Mint" is a special made distro for Win-converts. Anyway, point is, you CAN have both.

Um... it depends... 1st thing I'd try would be Cygwin. That would probably be the only thing I'd try under Windows. Migrating... just no! Without a POSIX subsystem(like Cygwin/Interix), there just isn't a feasible way to do it.

The problem comes from the fact that Windows and *nix are totally different, and almost completely incompatible. The makefile is likely to depend on certain executable that come standard on *nix being on your system, but they won't be there.

Basically, if your going to use *nix tools, it's easiest to install a *nix. There are Linux distros for people who are used to Windows. I think "Mint" is a special made distro for Win-converts. Anyway, point is, you CAN have both.
Thanks TylerH.

In my case, I made sure that I have all the tools: ld, sed, compiler, make. but it still didn't work, so I was thinking that maybe the make itself (or some other tool) is using some slightly different syntax or something like that, and I was wondering - maybe there are some basic differences in sytax etc. that are common knowledge for people here..

It eems that I will have to use Cygwin like you're saying, or some virtualization, but I still have some hope..

It works like a charm.
Thanks story645 - this is a great collection.