MIH finally gets with the times

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touched upon the topic of owning an iPod nano and its usefulness for various activities such as watching TV, listening to podcasts, and recording lectures. Some participants also mentioned the popularity of MP3 cellphones and the convenience of using an iPod for sick students. The conversation also included a discussion about the drawbacks of using iTunes and the challenges of getting Windows XP to recognize the device. Overall, the participants expressed excitement and enjoyment about owning an iPod and its various features.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just got an iPod nano. Whee! I'm watching TV in the palm of my hand.
This is really cool. :cool:

It will also be really handy since some of my class lectures are available as podcasts now, so I can listen to them during my commute.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
It will also be really handy since some of my class lectures are available as podcasts now, so I can listen to them during my commute.
:bugeye: Really? I guess it won't be long before I'll be having to learn how to do that too. Just when you get the knack of not putting the transparencies on upside down for the overhead projector, they come up with something new. :uhh:

I've found the podcasts to be incredibly helpful. About half our professors are all for it, and the other half completely shun it. I think some of them are worried that students will stop attending class, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I have seen. Besides, when there are 305 students crammed into a lecture hall that only accommodates 300, a few less showing up makes it more pleasant for all of us.

iPod is out and it's all about MP3 cellphones. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
I've found the podcasts to be incredibly helpful. About half our professors are all for it, and the other half completely shun it. I think some of them are worried that students will stop attending class, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I have seen. Besides, when there are 305 students crammed into a lecture hall that only accommodates 300, a few less showing up makes it more pleasant for all of us.

We do something similar, actually, but it's not podcasts, just movies on the course website. I haven't seen any drop in attendance. I think most students realize there are still sometimes things off-camera that they'd miss if they weren't in the classroom, and mostly just treat it the way they would recording lectures themselves, except you get better quality audio through the microphone the lecturer is wearing. It's also great for the student who is sick and has to miss a lecture, and even for those of us who are new faculty and know we need to take over a lecture in the future but don't have time to sit in on the class while it's being offered now to see how it's currently taught.

JasonRox said:
iPod is out and it's all about MP3 cellphones. :smile:

You're ruining my buzz. :frown:

Congratulations!
I would have never bought one myself, but I ended up with one on my birthday. I was really obsessed with audiobooks for a while. Only thing I don't like is that itunes can kind of suck, and files have to be in ipod format.

Of course, Jason's right. Nano's are a bit outdated.

Gale said:

Et tu, Gale? :cry:

I had a cell that played mp3s wonderfully, and yet I still prefer my ipod video... I have no idea why... iPods are just awesome.

Moonbear said:
It's also great for the student who is sick and has to miss a lecture..

I thought it would be perfect for that, too. It seems not everyone has figured that out, though. The week before midterms, a sick student came and sat next to me in class and sure enough I caught his cold. He could have easily skipped the lecture and listened to the podcast. To add insult to injury, he sat there and did his Spanish homework all through the lecture.

Moral of the story: next time that happens I will get up and move, even if I have to sit in the aisle.

moose said:
I had a cell that played mp3s wonderfully, and yet I still prefer my ipod video... I have no idea why... iPods are just awesome.

I like it because it's so thin, like a little cracker. Mine looks like this:

nano-gen-3-leak-1.jpg

Getting Windows XP Pro to recognize it was a real chore, though. I finally found a forum of other XP Pro users who had trouble with USB connected gadgets and got suggestions from them.

Ohhhhhh, that's nice :smile:
Whaaat? Where do you live? I don't care, I like my nano and I think MIH can say the same :smile:

Thanks, Mk! I think I will have a lot of fun with it.

Very cool MIH!

Cool! I picked up an Ipod Shuffle a couple months ago, it's great for working out.

Math Is Hard said:
I thought it would be perfect for that, too. It seems not everyone has figured that out, though. The week before midterms, a sick student came and sat next to me in class and sure enough I caught his cold. He could have easily skipped the lecture and listened to the podcast. To add insult to injury, he sat there and did his Spanish homework all through the lecture.

Moral of the story: next time that happens I will get up and move, even if I have to sit in the aisle.

Ugh. Yeah, that's where it's ideal, because then the student can get the full lecture and doesn't have to rely on a classmate's bad note-taking to find out what they missed.

There is a side of me that is dreading the day I'm lecturing to an empty classroom with nothing but a video camera though. :frown: If that ever happens, though, I'm going to find a way to run a video recorder from my living room and give the lecture in my pajamas, since all the students are probably watching the lecture from their living rooms (or dorm rooms) while lounging around in their pajamas. :biggrin: Hey, if they don't have to show up to the lecture hall, why should I? I'm all for giving up 8 AM lectures and just recording them to be viewed at one's convenience. :tongue2:

Bravo MIH, I'm sure you get a lot of use from it.

Math Is Hard said:
It will also be really handy since some of my class lectures are available as podcasts now.

That's awesome MIH. Now, if you ever get bored in class you can just pull out your iPod and listen to a podcast of...oh...wait.

moose said:

I love my iPod video too. Espessially because its 80G. :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
Very cool MIH!
Thanks. :smile:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Cool! I picked up an Ipod Shuffle a couple months ago, it's great for working out.
I was wondering how you work out and keep the earphones in your ears. I am still trying to master that. If I move too much, they pop out.
Moonbear said:
There is a side of me that is dreading the day I'm lecturing to an empty classroom with nothing but a video camera though. :frown: If that ever happens, though, I'm going to find a way to run a video recorder from my living room and give the lecture in my pajamas, since all the students are probably watching the lecture from their living rooms (or dorm rooms) while lounging around in their pajamas. :biggrin: Hey, if they don't have to show up to the lecture hall, why should I? I'm all for giving up 8 AM lectures and just recording them to be viewed at one's convenience. :tongue2:
Don't forget your bunny slippers!
hypatia said:
Bravo MIH, I'm sure you get a lot of use from it.
Thanks! I hope so. geez - I am such a girly girl - I bought a pink metallic case for it today. :redface:
G01 said:
That's awesome MIH. Now, if you ever get bored in class you can just pull out your iPod and listen to a podcast of...oh...wait.
ha ha! :rofl: veddy funny, wise guy!
Math Jeans said:
I love my iPod video too. Espessially because its 80G. :tongue:
ha! 80 G? :bugeye: you wish! (me too!)

Math Is Hard said:
I like it because it's so thin, like a little cracker.

Exactly. If I had one, I'd probably eat it.

Math Is Hard said:
I am a convert. I admit it. I held out for a long time. I got a nano for Christmas and then the updated nano for our anniversary. I think it is pretty sweet. I am amazed how clear the video is and how easy it is to look at. Of course, this does mean I kinda sold my soul to the Apple devil though...

On the earphone front, I couldn't use the Apple ones either. Go to a drug store. For about $10-$15 you can usually find earphones that wrap around your ear to hold them in place. They work great. I haven't had a problem since I got them.

http://www.seekshopping.com/images/A-1000.jpg

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:

nano-gen-3-leak-1.jpg

Getting Windows XP Pro to recognize it was a real chore, though. I finally found a forum of other XP Pro users who had trouble with USB connected gadgets and got suggestions from them.

I need to get with the times, too. I'm still trying to decide which color among these:

http://people.msoe.edu/~reyer/regency/allradios.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool stuff MIH. I have the older (bigger) ipod video. Its a really really nice product. The CD/Tape player in my car does not work and so I use a radio tuner to listen to my ipod on my car radio, so I use it every day when I drive since the radio here stinks. A person in class has the new ipod video that's like yours, and its really really thin and small. Dont worry about MP3 phones, there not that big a buzz. I've never met a single person who cared about an MP3 phone on campus, everyone uses I-products, and for a reason: there awesome!

radou said:
Exactly. If I had one, I'd probably eat it.
:rofl: see, people like you are the reason we have 50 different pieces of warning information on products.
*Do not use iPod while snorkeling*
*Do not microwave iPod*
*Do not eat iPod*
etc.

FredGarvin said:
I am a convert. I admit it. I held out for a long time. I got a nano for Christmas and then the updated nano for our anniversary. I think it is pretty sweet. I am amazed how clear the video is and how easy it is to look at. Of course, this does mean I kinda sold my soul to the Apple devil though...

On the earphone front, I couldn't use the Apple ones either. Go to a drug store. For about $10-$15 you can usually find earphones that wrap around your ear to hold them in place. They work great. I haven't had a problem since I got them.

http://www.seekshopping.com/images/A-1000.jpg
Thanks, Fred. I will check into the earphones. It's funny, but I am the opposite about buying Apple products, because buying the iPod helped alleviate some of my guilt about buying and endorsing so many MS products.

BobG said:
I need to get with the times, too. I'm still trying to decide which color among these:

http://people.msoe.edu/~reyer/regency/allradios.jpg
You are a true trendsetter, Bob.

Math Jeans said:
Holy @#!*&! I thought that was a typo.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Cool stuff MIH. I have the older (bigger) ipod video. Its a really really nice product. The CD/Tape player in my car does not work and so I use a radio tuner to listen to my ipod on my car radio, so I use it every day when I drive since the radio here stinks. A person in class has the new ipod video that's like yours, and its really really thin and small. Dont worry about MP3 phones, there not that big a buzz. I've never met a single person who cared about an MP3 phone on campus, everyone uses I-products, and for a reason: there awesome!

I am so digging my iPod. I just got some battery powered speakers to attach it to so I can listen in the car without getting hassled by the cops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
Holy @#!*&! I thought that was a typo.

Nope. Not a typo. Only problem is that I don't have a spare hard drive, and my computer cannot hold 80G with my other stuff.

I'm approaching a point where I need a spare HD. I hav about 50Gs on my iPod right now.

What is "MIH finally gets with the times"?

"MIH finally gets with the times" refers to the concept of MIH (Mobile Internet Hub) catching up with current technology and trends in the mobile industry.

Why is it important for MIH to get with the times?

It is important for MIH to get with the times in order to stay relevant and competitive in the mobile market. By adapting to current technology and trends, MIH can attract more customers and improve their overall performance.

What changes can we expect from MIH getting with the times?

Some changes that we can expect from MIH getting with the times include updated features and services, improved user experience, and possibly partnerships with other companies to enhance their offerings.

How will MIH getting with the times benefit its customers?

MIH getting with the times can benefit its customers by providing them with more advanced and convenient services, better compatibility with other devices and platforms, and a higher level of satisfaction with their overall experience.

Will there be any drawbacks to MIH getting with the times?

While there may be some initial challenges and adjustments for both MIH and its customers, overall, the benefits of MIH getting with the times outweigh any potential drawbacks. It is important for MIH to continuously adapt and evolve in order to stay competitive in the ever-changing mobile industry.