Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan on the Tonight Show

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan's appearance on the Tonight Show with host Jay Leno. It was noted that Leno seemed to be more focused on the space pioneers than his other guest, Tobey Maguire. This was seen as a sign of South Africans taking over, as Melvill hails from Durban. The conversation also touched on Leno's love for cars and motorcycles, which led to a discussion on the term "gearhead" and its varying connotations. One member mentioned not being able to watch the show in England, leading to a brief explanation of Leno's interests.
Dagenais
Did any of you see Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan on the Tonight Show?

Leno seemed to be pretty focused on them as opposed to his other guest, more famous guest,Tobey Maguire.

He even wanted a picture taken with them.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Woohoo!

I tell you the South Africans are taking over! Yippeee!

Melvill grew up in my hometown (Durban) so I was ecstatic on hearing about his Space Odyssey!

I'm telling you, us Proud South Africans are taking over!

Leno is a gearhead. I'm not surprised he was more interested in Rutan than Maguire.

We don't get that show in England. Is that good or bad?? :confused:

vix43 said:
We don't get that show in England. Is that good or bad?? :confused:

Being a gearhead?

Usually, it's sort of complimentary. It does tend to denote a penchant for machines in addition to a knack with them. Theorists would view it as an insult. "People" people use it to deride engineers, who take it as a compliment.

Leno is into cars and motorcycles - anything that goes voom!

Njorl

Related to Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan on the Tonight Show

1. Who are Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan?

Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan are two aerospace engineers and pilots who gained fame for their involvement in the development of the first privately funded spacecraft, SpaceShipOne.

2. What is SpaceShipOne?

SpaceShipOne is a suborbital spacecraft designed and built by Burt Rutan's company, Scaled Composites, in collaboration with aerospace engineer Mike Melvill. It was funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and became the first privately funded spacecraft to reach the edge of space in 2004.

3. When did Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan appear on the Tonight Show?

Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan appeared on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on November 6, 2004, just a few days after the successful flight of SpaceShipOne.

4. What did Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan talk about on the Tonight Show?

During their appearance on the Tonight Show, Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan discussed the historic flight of SpaceShipOne, the development process of the spacecraft, and their plans for the future of private space travel.

5. Did Mike Melvill or Burt Rutan make any other notable appearances after their Tonight Show appearance?

Yes, both Mike Melvill and Burt Rutan continued to make appearances and give talks about their groundbreaking work on SpaceShipOne. They also received numerous awards and honors for their achievements in the field of aerospace engineering.