Millikan Oil-Drop Exp: Help With Homework

• Thread starter candyq27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Millikan
In summary, Robert Millikan's famous experiment, the Millikan oil-drop experiment, measured the charge on tiny droplets of oil and found it to be quantized. For this problem, the magnitude and direction of the electric field necessary to hold a droplet with a mass of 2x10^-14kg and 5 excess electrons at rest can be calculated using the equation E=(kq)/(r^2). Using the equation N=q/e, the value of q can be found to be 8x10^-19. However, the value for r is unknown. Millikan was also able to change the charge on the droplet by using a radioactive source to ionize air molecules, and if the droplet acquired a
candyq27

Homework Statement

About 100 years ago, the American physicist Robert Millikan carried out a famous experiment known as the Millikan oil-drop experiment, in which he measured the charge on tiny droplets of oil. Millikan found the charge on these droplets to be quantized, and thus came up with a measure of the charge on the electron. For this problem, use g=10m/s^2 and e=1.6x10^-19C.
(a) Part of Millikan's experiment involved balancing the downward force of gravity acting on a droplet with an upward force applied by a uniform electric field. If a particular oil droplet has a mass of 2x10^-14kg, and the droplet has 5 excess electrons on it, what is the magnitude and direction of the electric field necessaryto hold the droplet at rest?
(b) Millikan could change the charge on the oil droplet by using a radioactive source to ionize some of the air molecules in the vicinity. If our oil droplet from above acquired a 6th excess electron, what would be the magnitude of the droplet's acceleration, assuming the electric field was set to the value you determined above?
(c) Assuming the droplet in part (b) was initially at rest, how long would it take to travel through a distance of 5cm? Neglect all air resistive forces.

Homework Equations

Magnitude of the Electric Field: E=(kq)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused about this problem and I have no idea where to even start. If I use the equation I know dealing with electric fields, I don't know what to use for the value of r and I don't know how to add in the electrons or where I'm supposed to add them in. Please help me work through this problem. I really don't understand it.

For part (a), I used the equation N=q/e to find the value of q...
N=q/e
5=q/e
5=q/(1.6x10^-19)
q=5x(1.6x10^-19)
q=8x10^-19

But then I'm not sure what to do with it
I could use the equation E=kq/r^2 but I don't know what r is...??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also know that F=kQ, and E=kq/r^2, but I don't know how to figure out the electric field that is needed to hold the droplet up.

1. What is the Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment?

The Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment is a scientific experiment conducted by Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron. It involved observing the movement of charged oil droplets in an electric field and using various equations to calculate the charge of the droplets and therefore the charge of an electron.

2. Why is the Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment important?

The Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment is important because it provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron. This discovery helped to solidify the existence of subatomic particles and contributed to the development of modern atomic theory.

3. What materials are needed to conduct the Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment?

The materials needed for the Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment include a glass chamber, a source of oil droplets, an atomizer, an x-ray source, an electric field, a microscope, and a voltage source. Additional materials may be needed for data collection and analysis.

4. How is the Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment conducted?

The Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment is conducted by first creating a mist of oil droplets using an atomizer. The droplets are then allowed to enter a chamber with an electric field, and their movement is observed under a microscope. By adjusting the electric field and using various equations, the charge of the droplets can be calculated.

5. What are the applications of the Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment?

The Millikan Oil-Drop Experiment has several applications in the field of physics. It helped to confirm the existence and properties of subatomic particles, and its methods are still used in modern experiments. It is also used in the development of particle accelerators and other technologies that require precise measurements of subatomic particles.