Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mini Cathodically-Protected steel plate

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    Mini Cathodically-Protected steel plate....

Hi guys/gals:

I am doing a project on cathodic protection. If I have a steel and zinc plate, does bolting them together with nothing at the interface suffice as Cathodic Protection? It looks too simple to be true. So I need your help to validate the above method.

Thank you!

Kramjit

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need something to trasnfer the ions between them - like sea water.
    Of course if you didn't have the water you wouldn't need the protection!

Cathodic protection is simple, it's just expensive in materials and replacement effort.

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
    Oh yes. I forgot to mention that the electrolyte will indeed be present (seawater). So are you saying that my set-up will be alright? Like I said, I worry that my experiment sounds too simple.

Thanks

5. Sep 9, 2007 #4
    Oh yes. I forgot to mention that the electrolyte will indeed be present (seawater). So are you saying that my set-up will be alright? Like I said, I worry that my experiment sounds too simple.

Thanks

6. Feb 6, 2009 #5
    Re: Mini Cathodically-Protected steel plate....

I think it may be the same as the process of electrolysis that need a liquid the is conductor of electricity... like some solution to transfer the ions between steel plate and zinc plate...

7. Feb 6, 2009 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Re: Mini Cathodically-Protected steel plate....

You should be fine if your form of protectioon is via a sacrificial anode. There is another form of cathodic protection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?