1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mini-project help please

1. Jun 4, 2005 #1
    Our teacher supplied us with one 8.5x11 sheet of paper, 2 paper clips and 12in of masking tape. What we have to do is put this stuff together and release it from about 9 feet above the ground. I has to stay in the air for 8 seconds or more and land inside a box on the floor (which means it should fall straight down). I've tried a few things but couldn't get the paper to stay in the air for more than 4 seconds. Any suggestions is appreciate. Thanks

Edit: I forgot.. we also get to use about 6 inches of bungee string

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might try a pinwheel.

4. Jun 5, 2005 #3
    Yeah i tried the paper helicopter thing but that only lasted me a little over 3 seconds

5. Jun 5, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Okay, Here's an Idea.

In attachment 1, fold along the dotted lines and cut along the solid lines. The grey area shaped like a star is the one you need. the rest, you can throw away.

once you fold the lines, you should end up with something that looks like attachment 2. then, fold the bottom corners and you should end up with the second part of attachment 2. that will catch air, making it slower.

put tape where the light blue rectangles are in attachment 2. then put paperclips to balance the figure.

6. Jun 5, 2005 #5
    thanks but is it just me or are the attachments not working?

7. Jun 6, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

they haven't been approved yet

8. Jun 6, 2005 #7
    Thanks for the suggestions. How can I explain the physics behind this?

9. Jun 7, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

behind what?

10. Jun 7, 2005 #9
    The physics involved in this experiment.. I've started with talking about gravity and air resistance. Is there anything else i can add to this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?