1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimize a certain function involving sine and cosine

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It isn't a homework problem per se, but a curiosity a stumbled upon when trying to solve a physics problem (I was trying to calculate the angle I would need to do less work possible, while moving the box). The equation I found is:
    [itex]f(\theta)=\cos(\theta)+ 0.4sen(\theta)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Just the one stated above, and trig identities, probably.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried a few things (including deriving and finding the roots of the function without success, since I couldn't found the roots), I also tried to rewrite (Using cos² + sin² = 1) and got:
    [itex]f(\theta)=\sqrt{1-\sin^2(\theta)}+ 0.4sin(\theta)[/itex]
    But I also don't know how to find the minimum in this equation.

How could I go about solving that?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2
    What problems did you run into? Did you do anything with tangent?

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Interesting that you use both "sen" and "sin"! Can't decide between French and English?

You have [itex]f(\theta)= cos(\theta)+ 0.4sin(\theta)[/itex] (only English for me, I'm afraid.). I don't see any reason to introduce a square root just to have only sine. Taking the derivative, [itex]f'(\theta)= -sin(\theta)+ 0.4cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] at a max or min. That is the same as [itex]sin(\theta)= 0.4 cos(\theta)[/itex] or, since sine and cosine are not 0 for the same [itex]\theta[/itex], we must have [itex]sin(\theta)/cos(\theta)= tan(\theta)= 0.4[/itex]. You can use a calculator to solve that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Jan 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Reposting HallsofIvy's post to fix up the LaTex:

6. Jan 7, 2013 #5
    Oh god, I can't believe I ignored sin(x)/cos(x) = tan(x). I'm terribly sorry, thanks a lot! That solves my problem.

About the whole sen and sin thing, it's because I'm actually Brazilian, and here we write "Sen", so I sometimes get both of them confused :P

7. Jan 7, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You also need to worry about whether the point you find is a maximizer or a minimizer of f.

8. Jan 7, 2013 #7
    Yes indeed, but that was easily done by deriving again and finding if the result in this particular point would be positive or negative, since I found a negative value I concluded that it was a maximum, the value I wanted(In OP I miswrote, I actually wanted a maximum initially).

[itex]tan(\theta)= 0.4;\theta = 21.8^o\\f''(21.8^o)= -1.077[/itex]

However, since you mentioned that, I just realized that I have no idea on how to find the minimum. Shouldn't [itex]tan(\theta) = 0.4[\itex] yield two values, one of which is a maximum and another which is a minimum?

9. Jan 7, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

10. Jan 7, 2013 #9
    Hmm. I found by trial and error that the angles should be: 21.8° and 201.8°, but how am I supposed to get the 201.8°? My calculator only gave me 21.8°.

11. Jan 7, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tan(x)=tan(x+180). The values of tan repeat every 180 degrees (pi in radians). It's periodic with period pi.

12. Jan 7, 2013 #11
    Ohhh, I see, thanks!
    I really need to get better in trigonometry. I have several wrong concepts :S

13. Jan 7, 2013 #12

lurflurf

Homework Helper

This is usually done with the identity

[tex]\cos (x)+\frac{2}{5} \sin (x)=\sqrt {1+\left( \frac{2}{5} \right) ^2 } \sin \left( x+\arctan \left( \frac{5}{2} \right) \right)[/tex]

Which is quite easy to optimize.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook