Minimize |n-2^x*3^y| over the integer

• I
  • Thread starter a1call
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary: I didn't think of that before. I'll try that out and see if I can build on it.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about finding the minimum value of an equation involving integers x and y and a given integer n. The solution is not known, but techniques such as calculus and Lagrange multipliers can be used to approximate the solution. The idea of using logarithms to reduce the number of cases to test is also mentioned.
a1call
Hi,
Is there a way to formulate the solution of minimization of:
abs(n-2^x*3^y)
Over integers x and y for any given integer n?
A numeric example that I found by trial and error is:
|6859-2^8*3^3|=53

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
a1call said:
Hi,
Is there a way to formulate the solution of minimization of:
abs(n-2^x*3^y)
Over integers x and y for any given integer n?
A numeric example that I found by trial and error is:
|6859-2^8*3^3|=53

Thanks in advance.
That's hardly a minimum value. If n = x = y = 1, the result is |-5| = 5
If n = 6 and x = y = 1, the result is 0, which would be minimum value for the parameter n = 6.

Have you studied calculus? In particular multivariate calculus? There are a couple of techniques that can be used to function the minimum or maximum of a function of two variables. There is also the technique of Lagrange multipliers.

Hi Mark44,
n is not meant to be a variable. It is a known integer value and the problem is to solve for integer variables x and y such that the result has smallest integer value. So for my numeric example n can only be 6859. x and y can be any integers. the minimization solution is x=8 and y= 3, because no other integer values of x and/or y will result in a number less than 53.
As far as I know calculus does offer solutions over the rational field but not over the integer field.
Would the Lagrange multipliers offer a general solution for this?
Thank you for the reply.

Last edited:
I don't expect there to be a known solution for this. I am just looking for expert-confirmation or authoritative-reference on the subject.

Positive integers? Otherwise there is no minimum.

Minimizing abs(2^x-3^y) apart from the case |8-9|=1 is still an open problem. Your problem doesn't look easier.

log(n)=x*log(2)+y*log(3) and some approximation techniques could help to reduce the number of cases to test.

Thank you for the reply mfb.
The log formula is very interesting.

Related to Minimize |n-2^x*3^y| over the integer

What does "Minimize |n-2^x*3^y| over the integer" mean?

This means finding the smallest possible value for the expression |n-2^x*3^y|, where n, x, and y are integers.

What is the purpose of minimizing this expression?

The purpose is to find the most efficient way to represent a number using only powers of 2 and 3. This can be useful in various mathematical and computational problems.

How do you solve this minimization problem?

The most common approach is to use mathematical techniques such as algebra, calculus, or number theory to find patterns and relationships in the expression and determine the minimum value.

What are some real-world applications of minimizing this expression?

This problem can arise in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and data compression, where efficient representation of numbers is important. It can also be used to optimize algorithms and solve certain mathematical puzzles.

Are there any special cases or restrictions to consider when solving this problem?

Yes, there are some cases where the minimum value may not exist or may be infinite. Additionally, the values of n, x, and y may be limited by certain constraints or ranges depending on the specific problem.