Minimizing arclength with a set of parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function with an integral of 1 from 0 to 1 and passing through points (0,0) and (1,0) with minimal arc length. The speaker has tried using a triangle and multiple trapazoids, but believes there is a curved line with an even smaller arc length. They ask for the arc lengths of various shapes and suggest looking for trends to prove the minimum arc length. The speaker mentions getting an arc length of 4.123 for a triangle and 3 for a square or trapazoid with negligible slope. They also mention redoing the trapazoid with a slope of 4.
TheStealthTarget
i am trying make a function who's integral is equal to 1 from 0 to 1 and goes threw points (0,0) and (1,0) with the minimal arc length, is tehre anyway to do this?

i have tried a couple things, which iwll get me xome question, i have made a triangle, and i have made many trapazoids, the trapazoids have a small arc length then the triangle, but i am sure there is a curved line that is even smaller, how would you find this curved line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What arc lengths do you get for the triangle (2 sides), square (3 sides), trapezoid (still 3 sides), whatever (4 sides), etc.? And what do you get for an ellipse? And what do you get for the function A sin(x) appropriately scaled? Do you see any trends that you can use to prove that <whatever> has minimum arc length?

for a triangle i get an arc length of 2sqrt4.25 = 4.123105626
for a square (or trapazoid with sides that have a slope of 10000000000 or negligible amount) i get 3

i am redoing the trapazoid with a slope of 4, i realized a made a mistake.

1. How can I minimize arclength with a set of parameters?

To minimize arclength with a set of parameters, you can use optimization techniques such as gradient descent or genetic algorithms. These methods allow you to iteratively adjust the parameters to find the minimum arclength value.

2. Why is minimizing arclength important in scientific research?

Minimizing arclength is important in scientific research because it can help to reduce complexity and improve accuracy in mathematical models. By minimizing arclength, we can simplify our equations and make them easier to solve, leading to more precise results.

3. What are some real-world applications of minimizing arclength?

Minimizing arclength has many practical applications, such as in designing efficient transportation routes, optimizing energy usage in electronic circuits, and reducing material costs in construction projects. It is also commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can minimizing arclength lead to overfitting in data analysis?

Yes, minimizing arclength can potentially lead to overfitting in data analysis. When we try to fit a curve to a set of data points by minimizing arclength, we may end up with a model that is too complex and does not accurately represent the underlying pattern in the data. It is important to balance minimizing arclength with maintaining a good fit to the data.

5. What is the relationship between minimizing arclength and the principle of least action?

The principle of least action, also known as the principle of least potential energy, states that in a dynamic system, the path taken by the system will minimize a certain quantity, such as potential energy or arclength. Therefore, minimizing arclength is often related to the principle of least action and can be used to describe the behavior of physical systems.