1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimizing arclength with a set of parameters

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    i am trying make a function who's integral is equal to 1 from 0 to 1 and goes threw points (0,0) and (1,0) with the minimal arc length, is tehre anyway to do this?

i have tried a couple things, which iwll get me xome question, i have made a triangle, and i have made many trapazoids, the trapazoids have a small arc length then the triangle, but i am sure there is a curved line that is even smaller, how would you find this curved line.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What arc lengths do you get for the triangle (2 sides), square (3 sides), trapezoid (still 3 sides), whatever (4 sides), etc.? And what do you get for an ellipse? And what do you get for the function A sin(x) appropriately scaled? Do you see any trends that you can use to prove that <whatever> has minimum arc length?

4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    for a triangle i get an arc length of 2sqrt4.25 = 4.123105626
    for a square (or trapazoid with sides that have a slope of 10000000000 or negligible amount) i get 3

i am redoing the trapazoid with a slope of 4, i realized a made a mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?