Minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity.

In summary, the motor is capable of a maximum velocity of 5000°/s and a maximum acceleration of 30000°/s². To determine the minimum distance it needs to travel before reaching maximum velocity, the equation ##v^2=u^2+\frac12 as## can be used. From first principles, it takes 1/6 seconds for the motor to reach maximum speed at maximum acceleration, with an average speed of 2500°/s during that time. Therefore, the minimum distance traveled would be 417°.
AmazingTrans
Hi there!

I have a basic question here, hopefully someone can brush physics up for me.
I have a motor that is capable of max velocity of 5000°/s, and max acceleration of 30000°/s².

What is the minimum distance that the motor need to travel before it reaches that max velocity?
Can it make it in 5°?

AT

Physics news on Phys.org
No it can't. For constant acceleration, the equation you need is
$$v^2=u^2+\frac12 as$$
where ##u## and ##v## are initial and final velocity, ##a## is acceleration and ##s## is distance (or angle in this case) travelled.

AmazingTrans said:
Hi there!

I have a basic question here, hopefully someone can brush physics up for me.
I have a motor that is capable of max velocity of 5000°/s, and max acceleration of 30000°/s².

What is the minimum distance that the motor need to travel before it reaches that max velocity?
Can it make it in 5°?

AT

A simple way to do this from first principles is:

It takes ##5000/30000 = 1/6## seconds to reach maximum speed at max acceleration.

The average speed during this time will be half the maximum speed. This is ##2500°/s##

The angle rotated during this time is, therefore: ##2500 \times 1/6 = 417°##

Thanks!

What is the significance of minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity?

The minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity is an important concept in physics and engineering. It refers to the minimum distance that an object must travel in order to achieve its maximum velocity. This concept is crucial in understanding the performance and limitations of various machines and vehicles, such as rockets, cars, and airplanes.

How is the minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity calculated?

The minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity can be calculated using the formula d = (v² - u²)/2a, where d is the distance, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from the basic kinematic equations and is applicable to objects with constant acceleration.

What factors affect the minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity?

The minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, acceleration, and the presence of external forces such as friction and air resistance. The mass and shape of the object can also play a role in determining the minimum distance required.

Why is it important to minimize the distance required to reach maximum velocity?

Minimizing the distance required to reach maximum velocity is important for efficient and effective operation of machines and vehicles. It can also have safety implications, as a longer distance may increase the risk of accidents or collisions. Additionally, minimizing the distance can lead to cost savings, as less fuel or energy is needed to reach maximum velocity.

How does the minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity change in space?

In space, the minimum distance required to reach maximum velocity can be significantly different due to the absence of air resistance and other external forces. Objects in space can reach their maximum velocity with minimal distance, which is why spacecraft are launched vertically and with high acceleration to reach orbital speed in a short amount of time.