Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mink-diagrams and a type of wormhole

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    This thread gave me an idea.

What if a method of "FTL" travel, similar to wormhole would consist of a tunnel that had a physical distance "inside" that any signal would have to traverse, and that distance being equal to the time dilation between the mouths of the tunnel since its/their creation expressed in distance (time * c)?

So that if one mouth was (instantly) accelerated to 0.9c, then after one year the length of the inside of the tunnel would be 1-(1/γ))ct which gives 0.564 light-years.

Could such a system be used to create a paradox? I'm thinking that any attempt at time-travel by putting a mouth at a high relative velocity would just elongate the tunnel, which might prevent paradoxes, but I don't know enough about space-time diagrams to see if it would actually "elongate" fast enough.

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2
    Earlier self, I think one of the problems is that the two inertial frames will disagree on the length of the tunnel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook