Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mink-diagrams and a type of wormhole

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    This thread gave me an idea.

What if a method of "FTL" travel, similar to wormhole would consist of a tunnel that had a physical distance "inside" that any signal would have to traverse, and that distance being equal to the time dilation between the mouths of the tunnel since its/their creation expressed in distance (time * c)?

So that if one mouth was (instantly) accelerated to 0.9c, then after one year the length of the inside of the tunnel would be 1-(1/γ))ct which gives 0.564 light-years.

Could such a system be used to create a paradox? I'm thinking that any attempt at time-travel by putting a mouth at a high relative velocity would just elongate the tunnel, which might prevent paradoxes, but I don't know enough about space-time diagrams to see if it would actually "elongate" fast enough.

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2
    Earlier self, I think one of the problems is that the two inertial frames will disagree on the length of the tunnel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook