Minkowski Metric: Timelike vs Spacelike

In summary: I can only provide a summary of the content, not reply to questions. In summary, the Minkowski metric has two conventions, (-+++) and (+---), which are both considered the same metric with different sign conventions. In the first convention, spacelike means ds^2 > 0, while in the second convention, spacelike means ds^2 < 0.
jaljon
hello

Whic one of these to metric are Minkowski metric
ds^2 =-(cdt)^2+(dX)^2

ds^2 =(cdt)^2-(dX)^2

and what about timelike (ds^2<0) and spacelike (ds^2>0) for each metric?

With my appreciation to those who answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

These are both ways of writing the Minkowski metric. People refer to this as (-+++) and (+---) signatures. It doesn't matter which one you use as long as you're consistent. It can be confusing reading the literature, because different people use different signatures.

Both are considered the same metric, just with a different sign convention. My personal preference is the first one, but both are well accepted.

When I want to use a metric with positive timelike intervals squared I tend to use [itex]c^2d\tau^2=c^2dt^2-dX^2[/itex]. It is just a convention, but that is my preference.

Last edited:
The first convention seems to be more popular in texts about classical SR and GR. The second convention seems to be more popular in books on quantum field theory.

bcrowell, DalesPam, robphy Thank you very much

my queastion is

if I use first one

ds^2 =-(cdt)^2+(dX)^2

spacelike: (ds^2>0) then -(cdt)^2+(dX)^2>0 then (dX/dt)>c

if I use second one

ds^2 =(cdt)^2-(dX)^2

spacelike: (ds^2>0) then (cdt)^2-(dX)^2>0 then (dX/dt)<c

we know in light cone spacelike out of cone that mean (dX/dt)>c but why second one (dX/dt)<c

jaljon said:
if I use second one

ds^2 =(cdt)^2-(dX)^2

spacelike: (ds^2>0)

No, for this convention for the metric, spacelike means ds^2 < 0.

spacelike: outside the lightcone... so "faster than light"
(dx/dt)^2 > c^2 (i.e. either (dx/dt) > c or (dx/dt) < -c).

Thus, spacelike means dx^2 > c^2 dt^2
("larger square-of-the-magnitude of the spatial-part than that of c-times-the-temporal-part")

So, spacelike is dx^2 - c^2 dt^2 > 0.

Now on to the conventions...
If ds^2 = -c^2 dt^2 + dx^2 (-+++), then spacelike is ds^2 > 0 (in -+++... that is, "+ for space").

If ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 - dx^2 (+---), then spacelike is ds^2 < 0 (in +---... that is "- for space").

thanks

Related to Minkowski Metric: Timelike vs Spacelike

1. What is the Minkowski Metric?

The Minkowski Metric, also known as the Minkowski spacetime or Minkowski space, is a mathematical model used in the theory of relativity to describe the four-dimensional spacetime.

2. What is the difference between Timelike and Spacelike in the Minkowski Metric?

In the Minkowski Metric, Timelike refers to events that can be connected by a timelike curve, meaning that they can be reached by a particle moving slower than the speed of light. Spacelike refers to events that cannot be connected by a timelike curve, meaning they cannot be reached by a particle moving slower than the speed of light.

3. How is the Minkowski Metric used in the theory of relativity?

The Minkowski Metric is used to describe the geometry of spacetime in the theory of relativity. It allows for a unified treatment of space and time, and is essential in understanding the concepts of spacetime intervals, causality, and the effects of gravity.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Minkowski Metric?

The Minkowski Metric has many applications in modern physics, including in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of GPS technology and in the correction of satellite orbits due to relativistic effects.

5. How does the Minkowski Metric differ from the Euclidean Metric?

The Minkowski Metric differs from the Euclidean Metric in that it includes a negative sign in the time component. This allows for the inclusion of time as a fourth dimension in the spacetime model, whereas the Euclidean Metric only considers three dimensions of space. Additionally, the Minkowski Metric is used in the theory of relativity, while the Euclidean Metric is used in classical physics.