Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mint-stolon or sucker?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    Does Mint(Mentha arvensis) come under the category of sucker or runner or stolon or rhizome?

In one of my books,it says,"In plants like mint and jasmine a slender lateral branch arises from the base of the main axis and after growing aerially for some time arch downwards to touch the ground."
    My teacher,on the other hand says,Mint is an example of a sucker,just like Chrysanthemum.He is pretty sure.

I searched on the net.In wikipedia,it says rhizome and runners under the genus Mentha,but there is no sign of a sucker or even a stolon.
    So what is correct?Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've heard many of these terms used interchangeably in common usage. However there are distinctions between them. To find out, I recommend looking up each term individually. It would be useful to grow some mint yourself (preferably outside over 1-2 seasons) and see if it behaves according to the term you've chosen.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    I think the genus information may be confusing you. All species in the mint genus reproduce vegetatively by lateral stems- whether this stem is a rhizome (underground) or a stolon (aboveground) depends on the individual species. Also, it looks like Mentha arvensis has a number of sub-species, just to complicate things.

Does Mint(Mentha arvensis) come under the category of sucker or runner or stolon or rhizome?

The term stolon refers to lateral stem itself
    The terms sucker and runner are used when you are talking about vegetative (asexual) reproduction- a sucker is the 'plantlet' or daughter plant that is produced from a node on the parent stolon. A runner is the term used for a sucker-producing stolon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook