Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirrors spontaneously cracking

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    Hi there...I've been searching the net and hoping someone can provide some insight.

I live in Toronto Canada in a high rise condo. I have several mirrors in my unit: some are hanging from the wall (they are approx 20 lbs); one is leaning against the wall (6 ft high x 4 ft wide); one is a sliding door to a closet (full mirror); one is a piece of furniture (a night table covered with mirrors).

I';ve had this condo since 2005. The closet mirror being there since it was built, and all other mirrors since 2009.

Last month after a thunder and lightening storm I noticed 3 of my mirrors all had cracks in the them on the corners. All the affected mirrors are also beveled.

Two days ago after returning from a week away, I noticed a forth mirror cracking. There was a lightening storm while I was on the airplane that lite up the sky.

Today I found the closet mirror (completely flat) that slides side to side - cracked on the corner as well!

My condo unit is next to a single elevator. I live across the street from a hydro station (sometimes when a transformer blows the unit shakes).

The mirrors cracked all recently and I am trying to figure out why all of a sudden this is happening and how I can prevent further damage.

Could it be due to the lightening storms?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted