1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirrors spontaneously cracking

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    Hi there...I've been searching the net and hoping someone can provide some insight.

I live in Toronto Canada in a high rise condo. I have several mirrors in my unit: some are hanging from the wall (they are approx 20 lbs); one is leaning against the wall (6 ft high x 4 ft wide); one is a sliding door to a closet (full mirror); one is a piece of furniture (a night table covered with mirrors).

I';ve had this condo since 2005. The closet mirror being there since it was built, and all other mirrors since 2009.

Last month after a thunder and lightening storm I noticed 3 of my mirrors all had cracks in the them on the corners. All the affected mirrors are also beveled.

Two days ago after returning from a week away, I noticed a forth mirror cracking. There was a lightening storm while I was on the airplane that lite up the sky.

Today I found the closet mirror (completely flat) that slides side to side - cracked on the corner as well!

My condo unit is next to a single elevator. I live across the street from a hydro station (sometimes when a transformer blows the unit shakes).

The mirrors cracked all recently and I am trying to figure out why all of a sudden this is happening and how I can prevent further damage.

Could it be due to the lightening storms?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted