1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection of Light ~ Mirror on one side, surveillance on the other.

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    Question

In many department stores, large plane mirrors have been placed high on walls or on projections from ceilings. These may be one-way mirrors that are designed to allow one-way surveillance of the store. From one side, this surface looks like a mirror, but from the other side, the activities of the shoppers can be observed. Suggest how this type of mirror works.

Answer I think:

All light received by the observer is reflected by the glass. No light comes from inside.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION IF I AM WRONG.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The passage of light is symmetric. The mirror cannot literally let light through in only one direction. Assume that it lets through some small fraction in each direction, reflecting the rest. Can you still explain it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted