Miscellaneous courses to take?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the conversation revolves around the subject of taking additional classes for an engineering degree. The individual is currently studying for a degree in engineering and plans to pursue a Masters in Engineering and Mathematics. They are seeking opinions on whether there are any miscellaneous classes that they should take to benefit their education. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a strong foundation in math for engineering, with suggestions for courses such as Calculus 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra. There is also a discussion on whether pursuing additional math degrees would be beneficial for their career as an engineer. Ultimately, it is advised to assess the value of gaining more math knowledge versus gaining work experience.
Miike012
I am going to school currently to get a degree in engineering. I want to get a masters in engineering and possibly a bach in mathmatics, then later on get a masters in math aswell.

My question is... are there any miscellaneous classes that I should take that can benefit me?
For instance on the ASU's layout for engineers it did not suggest that I should take CAD, but and engineer said that I should take CAD. Are there anyothere random classes that someone thinks I should take.
And any opinions would be appreciated...

Ps. I am going into my second semester of college, so I really have not taken many classes, and I am willing to take in consideration the classes anyone says will benefit me.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want degree in Engineering and Math? Also any specific field of engineering?

I feel like inorder to be a good engineer one must have a very strong base in math. I was thinking about aerospace.

A very strong base in math is learning up to calculus 3 and Differential Equations. A well rounded course in Linear Algebra is good too. Most engineers never go past that, why? It's not needed to secede in their field. A few engineering degrees require a good course in Partial Differentials, I would suggest this for Aero.

Now if you want to do the math degrees for personal interest go ahead, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

A

crazyisraelie said:
A very strong base in math is learning up to calculus 3 and Differential Equations. A well rounded course in Linear Algebra is good too. Most engineers never go past that, why? It's not needed to secede in their field. A few engineering degrees require a good course in Partial Differentials, I would suggest this for Aero.

Now if you want to do the math degrees for personal interest go ahead, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Er... no.

The question depends a lot on what kind of engineer. EEs need things that mechanical engineers don't. Complex variables would be good for EEs, DE/PDE would be good for pretty much anything.

The less useful "pure math" subjects like real analysis are probably what "crazyisraeli" means by "waste of time." However, such subjects are highly interesting if you're into math.

I want to be an aerospace engineer.
The reason I want to learn more than the math that is needed is because I know math is very important and the better understanding I have in math and the more I know about math will make me a better engineer.

fss said:
Er... no.

The question depends a lot on what kind of engineer. EEs need things that mechanical engineers don't. Complex variables would be good for EEs, DE/PDE would be good for pretty much anything.

The less useful "pure math" subjects like real analysis are probably what "crazyisraeli" means by "waste of time." However, such subjects are highly interesting if you're into math.

That was a generalized comment, hence why I said MOST engineers. MOST Engineers do not need past calculus 3 and Differential.

Aerospace doesn't seem to need anything past Calculus 3 and Differential As well. There is no need besides your own personal interest and no having a great understand of pure math is great and all. It won't make you a better engineer.

maybe your right, what if it doesn't make me a better engineer. But what if there is a problem that I came across as an engineer and can't figure it out because my math is limited?
I still think that having a great base in math will make me stick out from the others... Then again I really don't know anything about what an engineer does so who am i to say.

Miike012 said:
maybe your right, what if it doesn't make me a better engineer. But what if there is a problem that I came across as an engineer and can't figure it out because my math is limited?
I still think that having a great base in math will make me stick out from the others... Then again I really don't know anything about what an engineer does so who am i to say.

I'm doubtful you'll ever experience that. And please don't waste your time with math degrees unless you REALLY want one for personal interest.

I don't understand why if I am going into a field that deals with math that I wouldn't want to know as much math as possible? Anyways... I really do like math, do you know any fields that would be good that deal with math other than being a teacher?

Miike012 said:
I don't understand why if I am going into a field that deals with math that I wouldn't want to know as much math as possible? Anyways... I really do like math, do you know any fields that would be good that deal with math other than being a teacher?

You don't seem to understand. Engineering does deal with math, but some don't use it past learning it. Some like Electrical or Computer do use some abstract math, but at the same time others like Aerospace greatly use Calculus 3, but only a bit past it.

Engineering isn't as based in math as it is in physics.

Miike012 said:
I want to be an aerospace engineer.
The reason I want to learn more than the math that is needed is because I know math is very important and the better understanding I have in math and the more I know about math will make me a better engineer.

While that may be true, you have to keep in mind that the amount of time required to learn more advanced math skills, which you may or may not get to use as an engineer, comes at the opportunity cost of years of potential working experience you could have gained in that period of time. If your ultimate goal is to be a "better engineer," you have to assess whether or not extra math knowledge is worth more than the additional work experience. I don't want to discourage you from studying more advanced math if that's your interest, but I think it's important you are aware of this.

Back to your question: before even taking a course in AutoCAD, I would recommend you take a course that involves technical drawing. I think the skills you would learn (ex.: how to represent a real or imaginary object on a sheet of paper, what features are important to show, dimensioning etc.) would be far more universal than studying a specific drafting software. Also, keep in mind that many engineering firms use more advanced software than AutoCAD to complete their drafts, so you would likely receive training by the firm anyway.

In general, I would advise you make sure your school's program includes at least one course in technical communication. If it doesn't, then make sure you study this as a option. My professor once told me that knowing how to effectively communicate a great idea is just as important as coming up with the idea itself. And while I'm still a student without any great ideas (yet! :smile:), I can definitely see how this is true after taking my first design course. Technical reports are no joke.

Finally, make sure you do some work with programming. Courses in engineering economics and in science and society can also be useful.

1. What are miscellaneous courses?

Miscellaneous courses refer to any class or subject that does not fall into a specific category or field of study. These courses may cover a wide range of topics and are often chosen to fulfill general education requirements or to broaden one's knowledge and skills.

2. Why should I take miscellaneous courses?

Taking miscellaneous courses can have several benefits. They can help you explore new interests, develop skills outside of your main area of study, and make you a well-rounded individual. These courses can also enhance your critical thinking abilities and make you a more adaptable and versatile learner.

3. What types of courses fall under miscellaneous?

Miscellaneous courses can include but are not limited to: art, music, philosophy, literature, history, psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science, economics, foreign languages, and physical education. These courses may also cover specific topics such as personal finance, time management, public speaking, or computer skills.

4. How many miscellaneous courses should I take?

The number of miscellaneous courses you should take depends on your personal goals and the requirements of your degree program. Some students may only need to take a few miscellaneous courses to fulfill their degree requirements, while others may choose to take more to explore various interests and broaden their knowledge.

5. Are miscellaneous courses important?

Yes, miscellaneous courses can be important for personal and professional growth. They can help you develop a well-rounded set of skills and knowledge, which can be beneficial in any career. These courses can also provide a break from your main area of study and help you discover new passions and interests.