Misha Glenny: Hire the hackers

1. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Interesting talk, Misha is very well spoken and articulate, see if you agree...

He sums up by saying there is a high incidence of people who become hackers and those who have aspberger's syndrome (15:58 in the video).

That should raise a few eyebrows of stereotyping for sure.

Rhody... :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Thanks rhody! I would like to see if there is any data linking hackers with other forms of crime. Is a hacker more likely to commit a different type of crime.

4. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Now, this is really sobering...

U.S. Outgunned in Hacker War
    Rhody...

5. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

As if I needed to underscore undiscovered breeches, MasterCard tells banks of possible security breach
    Interesting that the Krebs on Security Blog released this information, which needs to be verified as true or a hoax. The scary part is the length of time these breeches can take before being discovered. One would logically think that most credit card hanky panky would be detected right away though.

Rhody...

P.S.. Background on Brain Krebs, founder of the Blog.

6. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Interesting commentary, by Dr. Regina Dugan, DARPA Cyber Colloquium, eye opening, and startling. January 2012.

She believes we are losing ground because we are "divergent" (14:30 and on) from the emerging threat. This divergence are the seeds of strategic surprise.

Rhody...

7. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Hah, I just checked someone's twitter account, and it was down, that is a first...

Are the bad guys up to new tricks ? Have to check the news tomorrow.

Rhody... :grumpy:

8. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

All you Mac users who used to think Apple's OS was safe from infection, not so, this infection takes advantage of Java, specifically:
    The insidious nature of this infection is that it can go for quite some time before being detected. Nice... Is your Apple system an unwitting "Zombie", waiting to be used as an unwitting source to be used in an attack on other computers or websites ? See: botnet.

Rhody...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  9. Does it obviously work for Linux as well if its solely Java based?

10. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

roll,

Just a guess on my part, but I think if Java from the same vendor is used regardless of platform, it could be an issue.

Rhody... botnets searching...

11. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Here are instructions to see if you have it, and then how to remove it.

Also, download and install the most recent Java update from Apple and you should be set.
    Rhody...

12. jhae2.718

jhae2.718 1,160
    Gold Member

Better solution: uninstall Java.

13. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Haha, yes, here is a link to the patch BTW.
    A personal note, I never ever ever install any updates unsolicited for Adobe Flash Player, that is the kiss of death IMHO.

Rhody...

14. Wow! Thanks rhody for the news!

15. jhae2.718

jhae2.718 1,160
    Gold Member

Adobe has taken over from Microsoft as the company whose software is most exploited.

16. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Haha... :rofl:

Rhody...

17. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

I can't make this up, really, I can't for those who installed the first patch, or used a manual method to update, Apple recommends a second patch by applied to be found here.
    Rhody...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook