Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mismatch&power leakage with port of mixersattenuators solution

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    Hi ! I am making an RF Transmitter and i have a problem with power leakage for LO port to IF port and RF port. I don't know what to do and i am little confused about how can i fix this.

Source(-10 or -20dBm) 10KHz --------->MIxer conv.loss=8db--------->RF port

and

L.O=70MHz and 7dbm

I put an oscilloscope to mixers input IF and i don't see a sin wave from my Source. I is a sine wave with a lot of phase noice and amplitude variations..when i decrease the L.O power the sine becomes better.:eek:

I have heard about attenuators but i cannot understand how they will solve the problem. They attenuate maybe the standing waves that maybe create ?Also and my signal right?
    I don't understand...

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a schematic and some photos? What bands are you building this transmitter for?

4. May 23, 2013 #3
    P5181092_zps5ee33fa8.jpg "] P5181092_zps5ee33fa8.jpg [/URL]of course...here...i have some problem with the crystal filter there..but basically this is my transmitter...i think i will need attenuators sure before the mixers....

5. May 23, 2013 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

just a little note on circuit symbols....

are they supposed to be band pass filters ??

if so you need to learn to draw them correctly, the centre sine wave shouldnt have a strike through it ;)
    as you have shown them they let nothing through low mid or hi

Dave

6. May 24, 2013 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook