Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing Mentor

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    Hi, wondered what happenned to Tom Mattson, he's supposed to be
    moderating the independent research forum, but hasn't logged in since
    the 4th of July. Means my submission and presumable lots of others haven't
    be looked at.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Tom has a busy teaching schedule, I expect.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think BDOA means that we need a plan B mentor. Another human who is willing to do that job since Tom is MIA. Although you did answer his direct question :)

5. Oct 3, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, last time he disappeared because he got too busy, I took over, but I'm too busy to handle all that right now too. It takes a lot of time to review and moderate submissions to that forum, so nobody jumps in to take over very quickly when Tom's away. (And now that you point out he hasn't been in there since July 4, I'm afraid to look at how many submissions are piled up waiting for action. :uhh:)

6. Oct 3, 2007 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps it would be wise to temporarily close the IR forum to submissions - at least until someone can take over and the backlog is cleared? It really makes no sense to have that forum open to submissions, if there's no one available to look at them.

7. Oct 4, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In theory, I agree, but in practice, I'm not sure what we'd then do about threads that should be posted there if we don't have it open.

The other mentors are rallying. It may be tag-teamed for a bit. The biggest issue is that from the mentor's side of that forum, it's a rather daunting looking place with threads in all sorts of stages of review and moderation. I've sort of figured out what Tom had been doing, and then tried to make it a bit more systematized so anyone else can just pick up and know what's going on, but it takes a good 20 min of head-scratching the first time you stare at it and figure out how posts move from moderation queues to post courtrooms (where the reviewing gets done) and then what gets done if it's rejected or accepted, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it goes faster.

8. Oct 4, 2007 #7

J77

Someone who moderates an IR forum should get, how do you Americans say it, the Medal of Honour! :biggrin:

9. Oct 4, 2007 #8
    my, my-----it sounds like there's quite a bit going on 'behind the curtain' (non-visible threads) to continually keep the forum in tip top shape--keep up the good work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?