Missing Mentor Tom Mattson - Research Forum Not Moderated Since 4th July

• Thread starter BDOA
  • Start date
In summary, it sounds like Tom is busy teaching and moderating submissions to the IR forum is taking a lot of time. The other mentors are rallying to take over for him temporarily, but there are a lot of threads waiting for action. It may be tag-teamed for a bit until someone can take over.
BDOA
Hi, wondered what happenned to Tom Mattson, he's supposed to be
moderating the independent research forum, but hasn't logged in since
the 4th of July. Means my submission and presumable lots of others haven't
be looked at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom has a busy teaching schedule, I expect.

I think BDOA means that we need a plan B mentor. Another human who is willing to do that job since Tom is MIA. Although you did answer his direct question :)

Unfortunately, last time he disappeared because he got too busy, I took over, but I'm too busy to handle all that right now too. It takes a lot of time to review and moderate submissions to that forum, so nobody jumps into take over very quickly when Tom's away. (And now that you point out he hasn't been in there since July 4, I'm afraid to look at how many submissions are piled up waiting for action. :uhh:)

Perhaps it would be wise to temporarily close the IR forum to submissions - at least until someone can take over and the backlog is cleared? It really makes no sense to have that forum open to submissions, if there's no one available to look at them.

In theory, I agree, but in practice, I'm not sure what we'd then do about threads that should be posted there if we don't have it open.

The other mentors are rallying. It may be tag-teamed for a bit. The biggest issue is that from the mentor's side of that forum, it's a rather daunting looking place with threads in all sorts of stages of review and moderation. I've sort of figured out what Tom had been doing, and then tried to make it a bit more systematized so anyone else can just pick up and know what's going on, but it takes a good 20 min of head-scratching the first time you stare at it and figure out how posts move from moderation queues to post courtrooms (where the reviewing gets done) and then what gets done if it's rejected or accepted, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it goes faster.

Someone who moderates an IR forum should get, how do you Americans say it, the Medal of Honour! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
In theory, I agree, but in practice, I'm not sure what we'd then do about threads that should be posted there if we don't have it open.

The other mentors are rallying. It may be tag-teamed for a bit. The biggest issue is that from the mentor's side of that forum, it's a rather daunting looking place with threads in all sorts of stages of review and moderation. I've sort of figured out what Tom had been doing, and then tried to make it a bit more systematized so anyone else can just pick up and know what's going on, but it takes a good 20 min of head-scratching the first time you stare at it and figure out how posts move from moderation queues to post courtrooms (where the reviewing gets done) and then what gets done if it's rejected or accepted, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it goes faster.

my, my-----it sounds like there's quite a bit going on 'behind the curtain' (non-visible threads) to continually keep the forum in tip top shape--keep up the good work

1. Who is Tom Mattson and why is his absence concerning?

Tom Mattson is a renowned mentor and researcher in the scientific community. His absence is concerning because he has not been moderating the research forum since 4th July, which is unusual for him.

2. Is there any information on why Tom Mattson has been missing?

At this time, there is no information on why Tom Mattson has been missing. His colleagues and students are currently trying to gather more information and are concerned for his well-being.

3. Has anyone tried to contact Tom Mattson?

Yes, multiple attempts have been made to contact Tom Mattson through email, phone calls, and social media. However, there has been no response from him.

4. What should I do if I have important questions for Tom Mattson regarding my research?

If you have important questions for Tom Mattson regarding your research, you can reach out to his colleagues or other mentors in the field for assistance. You can also try sending him a message, but please be aware that there may be a delay in response.

5. Will the research forum be moderated by someone else during Tom Mattson's absence?

At this time, the research forum will not be moderated by anyone else. However, discussions and collaborations can still continue among members of the forum. If any updates or changes occur, they will be communicated to the members through email or social media.