Missing terms of a geometric seqeunce

In summary, a geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number called the common ratio. To find the missing terms in a geometric sequence, you can use the formula an = a1 * r^(n-1). Yes, there can be more than one missing term in a geometric sequence and you can check if your answer is correct by plugging them back into the original sequence or using a calculator. Geometric sequences have real-life applications in areas such as population growth, compound interest, and geometric constructions.
EricPowell

Homework Statement

Write the first 5 terms of the geometric sequence
3, __ , 32x+1, __, __

Homework Equations

tn=arn-1

The Attempt at a Solution

tn=arn-1
32x+1=3r3-1
r2=32x+1 / 3
r=√32x+1 / √3

I'm stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Before taking the square root, try to simplyfy the right side. What is [itex]\frac{3^{2x+1}}{3^{1}}[/itex]?

Hint:

If [itex]a,b,c[/itex] are three consecutive terms of a geometric sequence, [itex]b^2 = ac[/itex].

Villyer said:
Before taking the square root, try to simplyfy the right side. What is [itex]\frac{3^{2x+1}}{3^{1}}[/itex]?

Ohh I see. 32x+1 / 31 = 32x. And the square root of that is 3x.
Thank you

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number called the common ratio. For example, in the sequence 2, 4, 8, 16, the common ratio is 2.

2. How do I find the missing terms in a geometric sequence?

To find the missing terms in a geometric sequence, you can use the formula an = a1 * r^(n-1), where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Plug in the known values and solve for the missing term.

3. Can there be more than one missing term in a geometric sequence?

Yes, there can be more than one missing term in a geometric sequence. As long as the common ratio remains the same, the sequence will still be considered geometric.

4. How can I check if my answer for the missing terms is correct?

You can check if your answer for the missing terms is correct by plugging them back into the original sequence and seeing if it follows the pattern of multiplying by the common ratio. You can also use a calculator to check your work.

5. Are there real-life applications of geometric sequences?

Yes, geometric sequences can be found in many real-life scenarios, such as population growth, compound interest, and bacterial growth. They can also be used in geometric constructions, such as creating spirals and fractals.