Getting Into MIT to the Application Process

In summary, anyone knows how to get admission in MIT? There is no one-size-fits-all answer, but studying hard in high school, doing well in maths and science competitions, and having an impressive academic record are all important factors.
physics kiddy
Anyone knows how to get admission in MIT ??

Physics news on Phys.org

robphy said:

I am a ninth grader. I believe I am good at Physics, Maths, Computer Sci and Chemistry. Bu t I don't understand Biology at all. And I want to be a computer scientist because I love computers. But I don't know how to prepare for getting admissions in MIT. I have heard it's too tough to get there and only really intelligent people make their way to MIT. I am an Indian but even IITs are not like MIT. So, I want to get in MIT. Please tell me how to prepare right from grade 9... thanks a lot.

physics kiddy said:
I am a ninth grader. I believe I am good at Physics, Maths, Computer Sci and Chemistry. Bu t I don't understand Biology at all. And I want to be a computer scientist because I love computers. But I don't know how to prepare for getting admissions in MIT. I have heard it's too tough to get there and only really intelligent people make their way to MIT. I am an Indian but even IITs are not like MIT. So, I want to get in MIT. Please tell me how to prepare right from grade 9... thanks a lot.

You should search the forums for "MIT admission" or "Getting into MIT". You'll get dozens and dozens of threads that cover this very issue (it happens at least once a fortnight).

physics kiddy said:
The first thing you need to understand is, most of the stuff people learn in MIT can be learned in many other institutions around the world. The other thing is, no matter how good you are, there will be a truck loads of people as good as you are applying for MIT at the same time, it will all come down to a roll of the dice.

As for the preparation, basically make sure you understand all these topics conceptually. If you can do that with lots of time to spare, try self study materials at higher levels and so on, but make sure you don't study at the cost the unbalancing your life.

The last time I would advice is give yourself as many options as possible. Don't narrow down your own choices too quickly. Things tend to change and there is no way you can see them coming. You may hate biology now but don't give it up completely, it can be your bread and butter one day, there is simply no way to tell.

I second wukunlin's advice here. However, if you try for the moon, you will at least end up getting a star, so do try.

I would suggest you to look at INMO (Indian National Math Olympiad) and eventually learn about Physics Olympiad, if you can make it there, then you will be in a really good shape at the time you finish higher secondary.

From a UK perspective, "do the Physics Olympiad" looks like strange advice. There isn't a culture of "science fairs" or "Olympiads" here. To get into Cambridge you would aim to get the highest grades at A level in Maths, Physics + one other... Once you are certain to get A* in these, then the next best thing to do would be start on physics/maths textbooks that they recommend for Cambridge.

I'm not sure of the situation in India, but you need to get a feel for how an Indian student might best get into MIT. So keep asking in forums until you find an Indian student who has done this. It *might* be easier to get into Cambridge/Oxford because of the long-standing cultural ties between India and the UK.

Check out biographies of Chandrasekhar, Bose, and other great Indian physicists who 'made it'. Satyendra Nath Bose studied & researched at Dakha University until he made his breakthrough. Sivaramakrishna Chandrasekhar studied at Nagpur University. Subsequently, and joined the Raman Research Institute (RRI), Bangalore to work for his doctoral degree in physics. Only then did he go to the Cavendish Laboratory on an 1851 Exhibition Scholarship. So I don't see why you dismiss Indian Universities so easily. But still, studying at MIT would be a great experience, so certainly try for it - and try again, again, and again, at post BSc, post MSc, and post PhD phases (if it still seems a good option...)

You should work hard on excelling in your studies now, and not worry about getting into any particular place for a couple of years. By the time you are ready to apply, you might have changed your mind and find something else more appealing.

Shall I concentrate on getting good grades or try to develop scientific temper ?

physics kiddy said:
Shall I concentrate on getting good grades or try to develop scientific temper ?

Focus on good grades and finding a subject that really interests you. This is true regardless of what university you are trying to go to.

As for MIT. Keep your grades high, and apply, but realize that many, many, well qualified students are turned down every year, solely because the university only has so much room for new students.

It's ok to have high hopes, but remember that you can have a successful career in science without attending MIT. Having an "MIT or bust" attitude is a bad, bad, idea.

mal4mac said:
From a UK perspective, "do the Physics Olympiad" looks like strange advice. There isn't a culture of "science fairs" or "Olympiads" here. To get into Cambridge you would aim to get the highest grades at A level in Maths, Physics + one other... Once you are certain to get A* in these, then the next best thing to do would be start on physics/maths textbooks that they recommend for Cambridge.

I'm not sure of the situation in India, but you need to get a feel for how an Indian student might best get into MIT. So keep asking in forums until you find an Indian student who has done this. It *might* be easier to get into Cambridge/Oxford because of the long-standing cultural ties between India and the UK.

How do cultural ties have anything to do with getting into Cambridge? At least A*AA at A2, followed by interview, then either one is given an offer or not. One should note that the interview is purely academic. In that respect, it's probably "easier" to get into Cambridge than into MIT, if one is smart and has excellent grades. The admissions process is much less random. Say, one is applying for maths. The more maths one has studied and the better one can show his aptitude in maths (especially that, considering the grades are given, once we're at the interview), the better his chances are. With MIT (and all the other "big US colleges"), you *don't know*.

Almost everyday I get news of some new invention or discovery going there in MIT. I have always been fascinated by MIT because Indian Institutes don't lay so much emphasis on Researches,as much as I know. And I want to be a researcher in computer science. Is there any X-factor one needs to be different from others applying for MIT ? I get A1 grade in almost all subjects except Social Science and I am very curious about computers.

Last edited:
It's said that no entrance examination is tougher than IIT-JEE because 10-20 lakh students apply for admissions in IITs and only 6000 are selected. Is MIT even more challenging than IIT-JEE ??

physics kiddy said:
It's said that no entrance examination is tougher than IIT-JEE because 10-20 lakh students apply for admissions in IITs and only 6000 are selected. Is MIT even more challenging than IIT-JEE ??

Yes.

There is no entrance exam. :smile:

Q:sir can you tell me how to get to carnegie hall?

A: practice.

I am an Indian but even IITs are not like MIT. So, I want to get in MIT. Please tell me how to prepare right from grade 9... thanks a lot.

There is no entrance exam to MIT, so the preparation is totally different. You should aim to be extremely strong academically. All of the following help:

- developing a great love for a certain subject

- great performance in national or international level contests

- doing meaningful research (but this won't happen unless you do the first thing - if you resume pad, it's obvious, because your research will probably be trivial)

- stellar grades

- an active interest in things specific to MIT and its philosophy (spend hours reading their webpage)

This basically is true of most strong schools in the US.

By the way, MIT's students needn't be stronger than the ones in the best school in your area, or in those of other countries. It may offer some benefits (like breadth of faculty strength, undergraduate program style, freedom to experiment more, etc) that you may not get at some places. But there are plenty of places in the world just as hardcore as MIT, and it really depends what field you want to specialize in.

Is MIT even more challenging than IIT-JEE ??

Depends what you mean. I can bet you no US school is as internally competitive as what you described. However, the material taught and the standard expected will easily build on what you knew as a high schooler. Competitive and difficult are different things, and require different skills in order to come out on top.

physics kiddy said:
I get A1 grade in almost all subjects except Social Science.

If you want to go to MIT, the best thing you can do right now is to a) stop worrying about it, and b) get your grades in Social Science up.

also, a reality check:

can you or your parents afford the fees? undergraduate scholarships are very few and practically non existent to foreigners. Slightly better for graduates but still very scarce. You need to think about how many zeros you can live with after the negative sign in your bank account.

I don't know what age ninth grade correspond to but at some point you have to do the maths and ask yourself whether it is worth it.

See buddy you are right there where i was just some months ago! you in 9 i am in 10(an Indian so don't worry) and have long wanted to get in MIT for which i am going to apply BUT you got to remember that you need two things to get into MIT-first you need to be financially strong as it's not easy to get a scholarship second you have to be very clear with your concepts-and actually that's the way to study. But for IIT,AIEEE you need even more than that..at least this is what i have heard

So if you are really fascinated by these topics work hard and appear all exams that come your way(including IIT) their is a KVPY,PCM INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIAD that you can appear in 11-12..you will come to know about them don't worry.At least this is what i am going to do.
Just study clear doubts focus and don't fear IIT you can start preparing for that too from 10 or 11..For now don't think much just concentrate on your topics.

So, which institute shall I join when i am 19-20 ?

Practically everyone used to start preparing for JEE from 11th. But, since you guys were the lucky recipients of the grading system and the option of no exam whatsoever it's obviously wiser to start earlier. With the right amount of work and will to learn numerous people have gotten in with only 6 months of prep as well. Don't fret over time, just enjoy what you're studying. Give the exams for the major colleges when the time comes (which in all honesty are just 4 or 5) and decide when you get the results. The syllabus is the same.

Plus, I'm not sure how true this is but I read that they're going to do away with the JEE after 2012. Then again, they say something like that nearly every 10 years. The only reason I wondered was because it was the same ministry which did away with the boards.
Just for example's sake :
I read about a girl who got into nearly all the 'big league' unis. MIT, Stanford, Cambridge etc. She also got a JEE rank of 18. From what I read, it said that she won a medal at the Linguistics Olympiad and a gold at the Physics Olympiad. She started studying for the JEE from 11th. I think she joined MIT, not entirely sure.

wukunlin said:
also, a reality check:

can you or your parents afford the fees? undergraduate scholarships are very few and practically non existent to foreigners. Slightly better for graduates but still very scarce. You need to think about how many zeros you can live with after the negative sign in your bank account.

I don't know what age ninth grade correspond to but at some point you have to do the maths and ask yourself whether it is worth it.

Valid point you make *but* in the case of MIT (and select few other schools in the USA), one can get a free ride if they can't afford to pay. No strings attached. Says so on the (respective) website(s). Pretty cool, eh.

Thanks everybody, thanks a lot

FAQ: Getting Into MIT to the Application Process

1. How competitive is the admissions process at MIT?

The admissions process at MIT is extremely competitive, with an acceptance rate of only around 7%. This means that the majority of applicants are not accepted, so it is important to have a strong application to increase your chances of being admitted.

2. What are the key components of a successful application to MIT?

A successful application to MIT will typically include strong academic performance, especially in math and science courses, as well as extracurricular activities, leadership experience, letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement. It is also important to have a passion for learning and a desire to contribute to the MIT community.

3. What are some tips for writing a standout personal statement for MIT?

When writing your personal statement for MIT, it is important to be genuine and authentic. Share your unique experiences and perspective, and explain why you are interested in attending MIT specifically. It is also helpful to showcase your problem-solving skills and your motivation to make a positive impact in the world through your education at MIT.

4. How important are standardized test scores in the admissions process at MIT?

While strong standardized test scores can certainly strengthen your application, they are not the only factor considered by the admissions committee at MIT. They also take into account your academic performance, extracurricular activities, personal statement, and other aspects of your application. However, it is still important to aim for high scores on the SAT or ACT.

5. What is the timeline for the admissions process at MIT?

The admissions process at MIT follows a similar timeline to most other colleges and universities. The application typically opens in the fall, with a deadline in early January. Admissions decisions are typically released in late March or early April. If admitted, students must submit their enrollment deposit by May 1st. It is important to check the specific deadlines for the year you are applying, as they may vary slightly.