Mobile phone user hit by lightning

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential danger of using mobile phones during a lightning storm. While it is possible for a mobile phone user to be struck by lightning, it is not the main factor and there are other precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include watching out for warning signs such as ozone smell and corona, and taking a specific position when caught in a lightning storm while on a mountain.
Tribulus
Hey, is this really possible?

If yes then should I avoid using mobile phones outside or even in-car?
Seems to me that there should be some danger signs on phones then...
Mobile phones=potential killers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Tribulus said:

I don't see why it would be impossible for a mobile phone user to get hit by a lightning. But I seriously doubt phone has any role in that.

Tribulus said:

Yeah .. coz it was the mobile phone that injured him. Please.

If you are standing outside when conditions for a lightning storm exist, you are a potential target. The act of using a cell phone may increase your chances of being struck to some degree, but not as much as say, holding a metal umbrella over your head. Do you want to slap a warning label on umbrellas too?

You are safe unless:

1) You smell ozone, or
2)You see corona (St. Elmo's Fire) on the tip of the antenna (or other nearby objects), or
3) You hear a crackling sound of sparks, or
4) You feel a tingling of electricity on your ear (or your hair).

These are all well-known warnings that mountain climbers watch out for on mountain peaks.

Bob S

Bob S said:
You are safe unless:

1) You smell ozone, or
2)You see corona (St. Elmo's Fire) on the tip of the antenna (or other nearby objects), or
3) You hear a crackling sound of sparks, or
4) You feel a tingling of electricity on your ear (or your hair).

These are all well-known warnings that mountain climbers watch out for on mountain peaks.

Bob S

Out of curiosity, what course of action is recommended in the above scenarios, especially if you are clinging to the side of a mountain? I guess throwing one's self flat on the ground would work on flat ground, but that's not much of an option if you are a couple thousand feet up ...

SpectraCat said:
Out of curiosity, what course of action is recommended in the above scenarios, especially if you are clinging to the side of a mountain? I guess throwing one's self flat on the ground would work on flat ground, but that's not much of an option if you are a couple thousand feet up ...

I think you are supposed to grab your ankles and stick your butt up in the air, that way the current will go through your legs and not vital organs. Don't quote me on that though :)

SpectraCat said:
I guess throwing one's self flat on the ground would work on flat ground,
Nope, if there is a lightning strike nearby then there will be a large voltage difference between your head and feet and so current will flow through you.
You are supposed to kneel and crouch down so you are only contacting the ground over a small spot and you are low to the ground with no pointed bit of you facing up to give a point to hit.

1. How likely is it for a mobile phone user to be hit by lightning?

According to the National Weather Service, the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year is about 1 in 1.2 million. The chances of being hit by lightning while using a mobile phone are even lower, as the phone's metal components can act as a conductor and divert the lightning away from the user.

2. Can a mobile phone user be electrocuted by lightning through their device?

It is possible for a mobile phone user to experience an electric shock if their device is struck by lightning. However, this is extremely rare and most modern smartphones have safety measures in place, such as rubberized coatings and grounding systems, to prevent this from happening.

3. What should I do if I am using my mobile phone during a thunderstorm?

If you are using your mobile phone during a thunderstorm, it is recommended to seek shelter immediately. Avoid using your phone outdoors or in open areas, and if possible, turn it off and unplug it to avoid any potential electric shock. It is also important to stay away from metal objects, as they can attract lightning.

4. Can a mobile phone attract lightning?

Mobile phones do not attract lightning on their own. However, if you are using your phone outdoors during a thunderstorm, the metal components in your device can increase your chances of being struck by lightning. It is always best to avoid using your phone in these situations.

5. What safety measures can I take to protect myself from lightning while using a mobile phone?

To reduce your risk of being hit by lightning while using a mobile phone, it is important to stay indoors during a thunderstorm and avoid using your phone outdoors or near open windows. If you must use your phone during a storm, it is recommended to use a hands-free device and keep your phone away from your head and body. It is also important to have a lightning protection system in place for your home or workplace.