Model developed from performance curves are dynamic models?

I am trying to model a real heat exchanger in simulink. I dont have the geometry data. But I have UA curve with me. If I have developed the model with UA curve, will it be dynamic in nature?

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Nope.

Nope.
Do you think, is it because the test data gives the details of only at steady state ?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I do. UA is an instantaneous value, a curve makes it a function of something.

On the other hand, dynamics of heat exchangers aren't often a focus (except perhaps in textbooks): I've always seen them treated as instantaneously reacting devices because the heat content of vessels, columns and reactors and such was so much greater. Do you have a particular application in mind ?

@Chestermiller : any experience ? -- and shouldn't we let the OP add some more context ?

On the other hand, dynamics of heat exchangers aren't often a focus (except perhaps in textbooks): I've always seen them treated as instantaneously reacting devices because the heat content of vessels, columns and reactors and such was so much greater. Do you have a particular application in mind ?

@Chestermiller : any experience ? -- and shouldn't we let the OP add some more context ?
I agree. I think we need to hear more details. But it might be a decent approximation if UA where used in a dynamic case based on the instantaneous conditions. It depends.

My end objective is to make complete simulink model for rotory air compressor. So this heat exchanger will become one of the subsystem in my model. Can you tell me, if I am using a heat exchanger modeled with this approach can mimic the actual system functionality?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper