Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model rocket How to achieve max. altitude? (w/out altering engine)

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    I am building a model rocket for a school project, and I am using a PITSCO model rocket kit. We are not to be altering the engine in any way. What can I do to get the highest possible altitude and maximum time duration? (from launch till touchdown) As far as I know, the best thing we can do to keep it going straight and as fast as possible, is to make sure the three fins are the exact same shape, and are all attached to the body tube as straight as can be. Any other ways we can achieve maximum altitude? Besides slimming it down? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

I have read that low drag clipped-delta fins are the best type for stability in a rocket like this. I need to know what the dimensions are for these fins, if anybody knows... The material I am using is 1 3/4 inches wide, so it cannot be any wider than that. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?