Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, A and B, connected by a pulley on an inclined plane. Block A has a mass of 1.5kg and block B has a mass of 0.75kg. The angle of the incline is 40 degrees and the coefficient of friction for block B is 0.29. The question is asking for the acceleration of the system. Using Newton's 2nd law and considering the forces on each block separately, the acceleration is found to be 5.56m/s/s. To find the friction force, the normal force between block B and the incline must first be calculated.
Labrack

Homework Statement

Block B with a mass of (.75kg) is on an inclined plane attatched by a pulley to Block A which has a mass of (1.5kg). The angle given is 40 degrees. The coefficient of friction of Block B on the ramp is .29. What is the acceleration?

Homework Equations

Fnet=m*a
f=Fnormal*Coefficient of f

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was Fnet = m*a
Fnet = Fapplied - f
Fapplied = the weight of Block A (m*g) = 14.7N
f = fx of Block B which equals sin(40)*7.36 = 2.25
Fnet = 12.5
therefore a=Fnet / m
m = mass of the system which is 1.5 +.75 = 2.25kg
a = 12.5 / 2.25
a= 5.56m/s/s

I don't think that this is correct. Our Physics teacher has showed us inclined plane problems with a = 0 and without Atwood's machine. He has also showed us an Atwood's Machine problem without an angle. So now I am stuck and I don't know how to accuratley solve this problem. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Modified Atwood's Machine on an inlcined plane.JPG
    Modified Atwood's Machine on an inlcined plane.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,325
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You left out the friction force.

Rather than doing the problem in a single step, you might want to apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass separately. You'll get two equations that you can solve together to find the acceleration. This method will allow you to solve all sorts of complicated problems.

Where do I need to input the frictional force?

I thought that the frictional force was the 'x' component of the weight of Block B which is 2.25N

@Doc Al, did you see the diagram I attatched? Thank you for looking at this :)

Labrack said:
Where do I need to input the frictional force?
It's a force acting on block B.

I thought that the frictional force was the 'x' component of the weight of Block B which is 2.25N
No, the x-component of the weight is another force on block B. (Hint: To find the friction force, first find the normal force between block and incline.)

1. What is a Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane?

A Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane is a physics experiment that involves a pulley, two masses, and an inclined plane. It is used to study the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

2. How does a Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane work?

The experiment works by having one mass attached to a string that passes over a pulley and is connected to a second hanging mass. The setup is then placed on an inclined plane, with the pulley at the top. As the hanging mass moves down the inclined plane, the other mass moves up, causing the system to accelerate. This allows for the measurement of forces and acceleration.

3. What are the main components of a Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane?

The main components of a Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane are the pulley, two masses, and the inclined plane. Other materials that may be used in the experiment include a string, a stopwatch, and a ruler for measurements.

4. What are some applications of a Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane?

This experiment is commonly used in physics education to demonstrate concepts such as Newton's second law of motion and the relationship between force and acceleration. It can also be used to calculate the coefficient of friction between the inclined plane and the mass.

5. What are some sources of error in a Modified Atwood's Machine on an Inclined Plane experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment may include air resistance, friction between the pulley and string, and human error in timing and measuring. To minimize these errors, it is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take accurate measurements.