Atwood's machine on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem is to determine the acceleration of a system on an inclined plane with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.15. The system consists of a 7 kg box being pulled upwards by a 12 kg box connected to a pulley. Using Newton's second law, the equation -(Ff+Fg_{1})+Fg_{2}=(m_{1}+m_{2})a can be used to solve for the acceleration, where Ff is the frictional force, Fg_{1} is the component of gravity along the incline, and Fg_{2} is the gravity acting on the 12 kg box. By plugging in the values, the acceleration can
I Like Pi
I know this has been asked before, but it was never really clearly explained.. The problem is as follows:

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration of the system shown in the diagram if the kinetic coefficient of friction is 0.15?

[diagram attached.. if not visible, it is an incline plane, with angle +37 deg. the box on the plane is 7 kg and it is being pulled upwards on the plane by a box 12 kg that is connected to a pulley going vertically down the side of the incline (it is a right angle triangle, of course)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I related this to Atwood's machine as if it were vertical..

I know that the force on the m2 (12 kg box) is Fg2.

For the one on the incline, i just imagined it to be hanging vertically and pictured the forces acting downwards on it, which is Ff and Fg1.

Using Newton's second law, [tex]F = ma[/tex]
I got [tex]-(Ff+Fg_{1})+Fg_{2}=(m_{1}+m_{2})a[/tex]
therefore:
[tex]-[(mu)m_{1}g+m_{1}gsinx]+m_{2}g=(m_{1}+m_{2})a[/tex]

From there on it's just plugging in the values, but I'm not so sure if I'm correct?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• atwood machine inlcined.png
    atwood machine inlcined.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,664
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F(on 7kg) = component of gravity along incline - frictional force(f)+T
F(on 12 kg) = gravity-Tension

now proceed

1. What is an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane?

An Atwood's machine on an inclined plane is a simple physical system that consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. One of the masses is placed on an inclined plane, while the other hangs vertically. This setup allows for the study of the effects of gravity and friction on the motion of the masses.

2. How does an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane work?

An Atwood's machine on an inclined plane works by balancing the forces acting on the two masses. The force of gravity pulls the hanging mass downwards, while the normal force from the inclined plane acts in the opposite direction. Friction may also play a role in slowing down the motion of the masses.

3. What are the key factors that affect the motion of an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane?

The key factors that affect the motion of an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane are the masses of the objects, the angle of the inclined plane, the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors influence the forces acting on the masses and determine the overall motion of the system.

4. What is the purpose of studying an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane?

Studying an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane allows us to understand and apply the principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to a real-world scenario. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and improving critical thinking abilities.

5. What are some practical applications of an Atwood's machine on an inclined plane?

An Atwood's machine on an inclined plane has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and even fitness. It can be used to study the effects of different forces on objects and to design machines that utilize these principles, such as elevators and cranes. It can also be used in exercise equipment to simulate the effects of different inclines on the body.