Solve Large Exponent Modular Math Problem Easily

In summary, finding a^k mod n can be done by finding i where (a^i) mod n = 1, then using this i to calculate a^(k mod i) mod n. This can be optimized by using repeated squaring and the Euler Totient function to find i. The worst case scenario is if n is prime, in which case the totient function is n-1 and repeated squaring will have to be used to calculate a^(k mod (n-1)) mod n.
LS1088
I have encountered this problem in its general form: finding a^k mod n, where k is a rather large number. I have been researching on the internet for several hours but I still don't understand it well. Can anyone provide a detailed explanation as to how to solve this kind of problems?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By rather large number do you mean like 10, or like 100000000?

Also is n big as well?

Assuming that "n" is prime or that "a" and "n" are relatively prime, then there is some i where (a^i) mod n = 1. Once you find i, then you're looking for a^(k mod i) mod n.

update You can find a^i by using the extended Euclid algorithm, but that doesn't really help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Euclidean_algorithm

Last edited:
LS1088 said:
I have encountered this problem in its general form: finding a^k mod n, where k is a rather large number. I have been researching on the internet for several hours but I still don't understand it well. Can anyone provide a detailed explanation as to how to solve this kind of problems?

Yes, we really need to know how big K is. One that works if K is ont too huge is to start finding numbers a^j (mod n) and then multiply the results together to get your final number. For example (assume = means congruence here) using somewhat smaller numbers.

Let's say I wanted 2^20 (mod 111). This is small enough to calculate (it's 70) but let's see how else I can find it:

2^2 = 4 (mod 111 )

Easy enough. But now let's square that result.

2^4 = 4^2 = 16 (mod 111)

Still nothing interesting, but let's square this result this:

2^8 = 16^2 = 256

But that's

256 = 34 (mod 111)

It's much easier now to square 34 than 256. So let's do this a few times.

2^16 = 34^2 = 1156 = 46 (mod 111)

Now by rules of exponents:

2^20 = 2^(16+4)

Which is equal to:

= (2^16)*(2^4)

And since we calculated those, this is:

= (46*16) = 736 = 70 (mod 111)

-Dave K

Likes 1 person
In addition to repeated squaring, another possible optimization is to find i where a^i mod b = 1, where i will be some integer less than b-1. By using interation it can be determined that 2^36 mod 111 = 1. This means that 2^(j x 36) mod 111 = 1, for any integer value j. This means you only have to determine 2^(k mod 36) mod 111, using repeated squaring.

Rather than using iteration to find i, there is a Euler Totient function, which will produce i or a multiple of i, depending on a and b.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_totient_function

Calling the totient function t(), then for b = 111, t(111) = t(3 x 37) = t(3) t(37) = (2) (36) = 72. This eliminates having to iterate to find i, but it may produce a multiple of the smallest possible i. The repeated squaring to produce a product of 2^(k mod 72) mod 111 won't take that many iterations.

The worst case scenario is if b is prime, such as 109. The totient for b if prime is b-1, so t(109) is 108, and you'd have to use repeated squaring to calculate a^(k mod 108) mod 109. (for example, 107 = 1 + 2 + 8 + 32 + 64).

Last edited:

What is a large exponent modular math problem?

A large exponent modular math problem involves solving an equation of the form a^b mod n, where a and n are integers and b is a large exponent. The goal is to find the remainder when a is divided by n after being raised to the power of b.

Why are large exponent modular math problems difficult to solve?

Large exponent modular math problems can be difficult to solve because the exponent may be too large to calculate manually or using a regular calculator. In addition, finding the remainder after dividing by a large number can be a time-consuming process.

What is an efficient way to solve large exponent modular math problems?

A commonly used method to solve large exponent modular math problems is the Modular Exponentiation algorithm. This algorithm uses the properties of modular arithmetic to break down the exponent into smaller, more manageable parts and efficiently calculate the remainder at each step until the final answer is obtained.

What are some tips for solving large exponent modular math problems?

Here are some tips for solving large exponent modular math problems:

• Break down the exponent into smaller parts and use the modular exponentiation algorithm.
  • Use a calculator or computer program specifically designed for modular arithmetic calculations.
  • Take advantage of patterns and properties of modular arithmetic, such as the Euler's theorem or Fermat's little theorem.
  • Check your answer using a different method or using a modular arithmetic calculator.

What are some real-life applications of large exponent modular math problems?

Large exponent modular math problems have various real-life applications, including:

• Cryptographic systems, such as RSA encryption, use large exponent modular math problems to ensure secure communication.
  • In computer science, modular arithmetic is used in algorithms and data structures, such as hash tables and error-correcting codes.
  • In finance, modular arithmetic is used in calculating compound interest and mortgage payments.