Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulator and Demodulator (conceptual question)?

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    Just a quick conceptual question.

If you have a sinusoidal signal of 3kHz with an amplitude of A, and it's going through a modulator, and then going through a demodulator, must the output of the modulator resemble exactly to the original signal?

The reason why I am asking is because when I was doing this in my lab, the output of the modulator had the same frequency of the original signal, but 1/10 of the Amplitude.

I thought it would have A/4 instead.

Comments?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    It all depends on your system.

A perfect modulator and demodulator would result in an output that exactly matched the original signal.

In reality the demodulator stage may be such that you get a demodulated signal has an attenuated amplitude. Ideally this attenuation would be known and linear so that you can amplify the signal back to its original state.

So I guess I would say I need more detail to really answer better than that. Why did you expect A/4 to begin with? What type of modulation were you performing?

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    Never mind, I just calculated the gain for the modulator and demodulator.

The reason I thought it would be A/4 is because I remembered the professor gave us an ideal circuit diagram that had a specified gain value for both the modulator and demodulator.

Thank you for your input!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook