1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulus of a tensor

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    I was thinking... if the modulus of a vector can be calculated by ##\sqrt{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}}##, thus the modulus of a tensor (of rank 2) wouldn't be ##\sqrt{\mathbf{T}:\mathbf{T}}## ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2
    Using ##\sqrt{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}}## for the magnitude of a vector makes sense because the Euclidean norm (which that is) relates to our world. I am definitely not the most well versed in tensors in general, but my understanding is that there is no particular idea of a magnitude that makes similar physical sense.

The most common norms that I recall were the trace (which is only a norm if you take the magnitude of the diagonal elements?) and the Euclidean norm using the diagonal elements. I think that might be the what you wrote, but I'm not very familiar with that notation. I think that there are many others too, but those are the only ones that I ever used.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook