Moisture sensors - do they exist

• Thread starter speedobreedo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensors
In summary: RFID's are a possibility, but I'm not sure if they are the right size or if they would be detectable by humans.
speedobreedo
This is a complete newbie type question as I am certainly not an electrical engineer.
Are there such things as microchips or RFID's that detect moisture? I'm thinking of things like sweat in humans. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, I appreciate any comments

Engineering news on Phys.org
speedobreedo said:
This is a complete newbie type question as I am certainly not an electrical engineer.
Are there such things as microchips or RFID's that detect moisture? I'm thinking of things like sweat in humans. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, I appreciate any comments

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, there are all kinds of sensors that deal with humidity and moisture. What is the exact application?

Really for bodily fluids e.g sweat, to be affixed into clothing to see where humans sweat the most under certain conditions. I know that's broad but really looking into a small unobtrusive sensor that can be sewn into clothing
Thanks

speedobreedo said:
Really for bodily fluids e.g sweat, to be affixed into clothing to see where humans sweat the most under certain conditions. I know that's broad but really looking into a small unobtrusive sensor that can be sewn into clothing
Thanks

You could probably do it reasonably with resistance measurements, since sweat is conductive. You would need to be sure to design the system in accordance with human contact measurement safety standards, like UL 544.

Could you just do it with some chemical means instead? Like some benign chemical that you can put into a garment that changes color based on how much sweat there is...

Yes, possibly but I'm looking for an audible alert based on multiple testing scenarios rather than a visual one. e.g. an alert from a sensor to a receiving unit. That's why I thought of RFID's but I have no idea if that's possible or of the size they are.

Sensors as components just sense things, they don't produce audible alerts (generally speaking). You would have to have some other circuitry to read the sensors and produce an alert.

1. What are moisture sensors?

Moisture sensors are electronic devices that are used to measure the amount of moisture or water content in a given substance or environment. They can be used in various industries such as agriculture, construction, and environmental monitoring.

2. How do moisture sensors work?

Moisture sensors work by using a variety of methods to detect the presence of water or moisture. Some common types include electrical resistance, capacitance, and optical sensors. These sensors use different techniques to measure the moisture content and convert it into an electrical signal that can be read and interpreted by a device or system.

3. Where are moisture sensors used?

Moisture sensors are used in a wide range of applications, including soil moisture measurement in agriculture, leak detection in buildings, and humidity monitoring in industrial processes. They are also commonly used in home appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers to determine the appropriate water levels for different cycles.

4. Are there different types of moisture sensors?

Yes, there are various types of moisture sensors, each with its own advantages and limitations. Some common types include resistive, capacitive, and optical sensors. These sensors can differ in their sensitivity, accuracy, and cost, making them suitable for different applications.

5. Do moisture sensors exist for all types of substances?

While there are moisture sensors available for a wide range of substances, not all sensors are suitable for every type of material. For example, some sensors may work better for measuring soil moisture, while others may be more accurate for detecting moisture in gases or liquids. It is important to choose the right type of sensor for the specific substance or environment being measured.