Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moisture sensors - do they exist

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    This is a complete newbie type question as I am certainly not an electrical engineer.
    Are there such things as microchips or RFID's that detect moisture? I'm thinking of things like sweat in humans. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks, I appreciate any comments

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, there are all kinds of sensors that deal with humidity and moisture. What is the exact application?

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Really for bodily fluids e.g sweat, to be affixed into clothing to see where humans sweat the most under certain conditions. I know that's broad but really looking into a small unobtrusive sensor that can be sewn into clothing
    Thanks

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You could probably do it reasonably with resistance measurements, since sweat is conductive. You would need to be sure to design the system in accordance with human contact measurement safety standards, like UL 544.

Could you just do it with some chemical means instead? Like some benign chemical that you can put into a garment that changes color based on how much sweat there is...

6. Aug 8, 2011 #5
    Yes, possibly but I'm looking for an audible alert based on multiple testing scenarios rather than a visual one. e.g. an alert from a sensor to a receiving unit. That's why I thought of RFID's but I have no idea if that's possible or of the size they are.

7. Aug 8, 2011 #6
    Sensors as components just sense things, they don't produce audible alerts (generally speaking). You would have to have some other circuitry to read the sensors and produce an alert.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook