1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular phase shift in a non-enclosed area – how ?

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    Hi
    I have read this and to put it mildly I am confused, so maybe someone can clear this up.
    The dew point is defined as the point/temperature at which the Partial Pressure of the water vapour within the air packet equals the Saturated Vapour Pressure.

I understand that the dew point is a temperature at which H2O will phase shift from gas to liquid and this will alter with the combined pressure (eg, air). I understansd the Partial Pressure is (in this case) the pressure of the H20 with in the air and is not connected to the other partial pressures of other gasses.

But. I thought (maybe wrong) the Saturated Vapour Pressure was the escaping molecular pressure against the inside of a closed container.

If this is true then how the Dew Point exist in a non-enclosed container, ie. The atmosphere.
    or - in other words
    How can the partial pressure (the outwards force of a packet of gas) be equal to the Saturated Vapour Pressure (which can't exisit in the atomosphere)

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2
  4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    Hi
    Thanks for the response.

I do understand the various phases of water and partial pressures

But (there is always a but) the thing that is confusing me is how can a non-enclosed space have a saturated vapour pressure (which, by deffinition MUST be enclosed). Should the atmosphere not by definition have an unlimited pressure possible ? - Note I am using the word "unlimited" as a generalisation

As an example, in a sealed container the SVP would be achieved when the molecular escape pressure = the maximum abortion possible by the liquid surface. So the vapour pressure “from” the surface = the pressure “into” the surface.

If this is true (?) then a dew point should not be possible in the (non-enclosed) atmosphere. But of course clouds do form, so I am misunderstanding something really basic here.

If (for example) the humidity reaches 100% at the temperature required to phase shift (gas to liquid) – of course assuming the presence of nucleation substances – droplets will form. But as it’s a non-enclosed area the humidity should simply not reach 100% as the SVP can not be attained - but of course it does ;-)

I have been studying this for days and am still no further along with understanding it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. Oct 4, 2011 #4
    Hi again Mozil

It’s just come to me.

I am thinking too big (macro and not micro)

In the atmosphere SVP describes the partial pressure over a flat surface and not an enclosed area. Of course the surface of a droplet is flat (apart for the electron lone pairs) on a molecular scale.

Thanks for your input – it focused my brain in the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook