1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment for bending materials test

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to do the following practical, but I am unsure of how to calculate one of the variables.

We are doing this test
    1ggiu1.jpg

and we are given this information to calculate E.

n6cnqe.jpg

I have equations on how to calculate R and I, but I am not sure how to calculate M. It's obviously something to do with the mass of the weights on the end and the distance from them, but this information isn't included in the prac sheet.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    In the 400 mm length, M is constant. Are you able to calculate the reactions, where the little triangles are?

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    They both = W from sum of forces in Y direction.

The idea of the test was to see how much the material deflected upwards in the middle. I am just not sure if the applied moment is W*100mm or W*100mm*2 or W*300 or W*300*2

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4
    One definition of Moment at a section is: The sum of the moments on one side (or the other) of the section. So, at the point of application of the load at the end, you should find the moment is zero. In the central section it is W*300. You should check this by considering a section distance x from the left hand support, going to the right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook