Derive an equation for the maximum bending moment

In summary, the calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs. Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all symbols used in your equation.
Big Jock
The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified
experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the
beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs.
Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending
moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all
symbols used in your equation

M/I = σ/y = E/R

my attempt so far is

M= E/R x I
Totally unsure if that is correct and really be doing with a hand from someone more clued up than I am.

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain your reasoning.

What is "strain" as measured by the gauge?
What is "bending moment"?
Do you see that these concepts will be related? How does bending moment give rise to strain?

Have you learned the relationship between the tensile strain, the radius of curvature, and the distance from the neutral axis?

Chet

Eventually got there I believe with a final answer of

M= EIk would that be correct?

Have all the workings etc to prove it...

So what I have is wrong your telling me?... I seen that thread a long time ago and thought it was irrelevant as he was using the max strain plus it was hardly a derived equation. If you can shed anymore light please do...

Big Jock said:
So what I have is wrong your telling me?... I seen that thread a long time ago and thought it was irrelevant as he was using the max strain plus it was hardly a derived equation. If you can shed anymore light please do...
You are supposed to express the answer in terms of the maximum strain. The maximum strain ε is equal to the distance t of the outer surface from the neutral axis divided by the radius of curvature:

ε = t/R

So R = t/ε

You are supposed to substitute this for R into your equation for the bending moment to get the relationship between the bending moment and the maximum strain (at the outside of the bend).

Chet

I started by taking k=1/R= change in radians/ change in x
when I calculated the strain for my equation I had strain= change in length/original length
then strain = (radius of curvature - distance from the neutral axis)x change in radians-radius of curvature x change in radians.
Which got me to strain = -y/r
stress = Youngs modulus x strain
stress= -youngs modulus x distance from neutral axis/ radius of curvature.
Which I integrated down to M= EI/r
then I got to EIk

also there is no mention what so ever of the beams thickness of width that is why I went down this route

Big Jock said:
I started by taking k=1/R= change in radians/ change in x
when I calculated the strain for my equation I had strain= change in length/original length
then strain = (radius of curvature - distance from the neutral axis)x change in radians-radius of curvature x change in radians.
Which got me to strain = -y/r
stress = Youngs modulus x strain
stress= -youngs modulus x distance from neutral axis/ radius of curvature.
Which I integrated down to M= EI/r
then I got to EIk

also there is no mention what so ever of the beams thickness of width that is why I went down this route
I think the answer they were looking for was M=EIεmax/ymax, where εmax is the measured tensile strain on the outside of the bend.

so what I have derived in the strain section is wrong. Can you send me a link to show how this works or list the workings please, to tidy it up as it would seem Iam not to far away...

Big Jock said:
so what I have derived in the strain section is wrong. Can you send me a link to show how this works or list the workings please, to tidy it up as it would seem Iam not to far away...
You have the correct equation for the strain as a function of y, but the strain is being measured only at the surface where y = ymax. The idea is to measure the strain at the surface, and, from that, determine the bending moment. You know that the strain at the surface is equal to the distance of the surface from the neutral axis divided by the radius of curvature. So, by measuring the strain at the surface and the distance of the surface from the neutral axis, you know the radius of curvature. Once the radius of curvature is known, the bending moment is known from EI/R. What you were being asked to do was to eliminate R from the two equations, and calculate M as a function of εmax. I hope this makes sense.

Chet

Got lost a bit now...How do I do this? I only ask as I have never been taught about this.

strain is being measured only at the surface where y = ymax. The idea is to measure the strain at the surface, and, from that, determine the bending moment. You know that the strain at the surface is equal to the distance of the surface from the neutral axis divided by the radius of curvature. So, by measuring the strain at the surface and the distance of the surface from the neutral axis, you know the radius of curvature

Last edited:
Big Jock said:
Got lost a bit now...How do I do this?

strain is being measured only at the surface where y = ymax. The idea is to measure the strain at the surface, and, from that, determine the bending moment. You know that the strain at the surface is equal to the distance of the surface from the neutral axis divided by the radius of curvature. So, by measuring the strain at the surface and the distance of the surface from the neutral axis, you know the radius of curvature
You measure the strain εmax at the outer surface of the beam. This strain is related to the radius of curvature R and the distance of the surface from the neutral axis ymax by

εmax=ymax/R

The bending moment M is related to the radius of curvature R by:

M=EI/R

If we combine these two equations, we get

M = EIεmax/ymax

Using this equation, if you measure the strain on the outer surface of the beam, you can calculate the bending moment. So this is an indirect method of experimentally determining the bending moment.

@Big Jock - you got lucky. We don't normally do your homework for you.
It looks like you didn't understand the experiment you were doing.
The relationship between stuff in equations and stuff you measure is very important to understanding physics.
Best practice is to review a lab class a couple of days beforehand to make sure you understand it.
The derivation is one of the things you could have done beforehand.
(Assuming, of course, that you get the lab notes/instructions before the lab...)

Simon our right I don't follow this procedure as I am learning online doing this all myself. I don't have access to lab classes so if you can point me in the right direction I would be grateful...

Oh I see - for future point out that it is self-study, not homework.

The problem you described was for a practical physics or engineering exercise - typically called a "lab class".
A student would go to a special room that includes the bar already set up with a strain-gauge and everything and they'd have to carry out the experiment.

To understand what Chestermiller is telling you, you need to go back and make sure you understand the concepts you need. Their definitions and descriptions will be in the resources you are using.
You need to know what "bending moment" is etc.

1. What is the purpose of deriving an equation for maximum bending moment?

The purpose of deriving an equation for maximum bending moment is to determine the maximum amount of stress that a beam or structural element can withstand before it fails. This is important in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and stability of structures.

2. How is the maximum bending moment equation derived?

The maximum bending moment equation is derived using the principles of static equilibrium and the moment-curvature relationship. It takes into account the applied load, the length of the beam, and the properties of the material to calculate the maximum stress at a specific point on the beam.

3. What are the assumptions made when deriving the maximum bending moment equation?

The assumptions made when deriving the maximum bending moment equation include: the beam is made of a homogenous and isotropic material, the beam is loaded in a single plane, and the beam is initially straight and has a constant cross-sectional area along its length.

4. How is the maximum bending moment equation used in real-world applications?

The maximum bending moment equation is used in the design and analysis of various structures, such as buildings, bridges, and mechanical components. Engineers and architects use this equation to determine the appropriate size and shape of beams for a given load and ensure the structural integrity of their designs.

5. Can the maximum bending moment equation be applied to all types of beams?

No, the maximum bending moment equation is specifically used for beams that are loaded in a single plane and have a constant cross-sectional area. It cannot be applied to more complex structures, such as curved beams or beams with varying cross-sectional areas.