Moment of inertia/distribution of mass [conceptual/experimental]

In summary, for their lab last Thursday, the group used an inclined plane and recorded the position of two objects, a solid disk and a hollow cylinder, as they rolled down the plane. They then calculated the objects' velocities and plotted their squared values against their positions. The slope of this graph was used to find the "Beta value" which represents the distribution of masses. However, the group had trouble understanding the significance of this slope value and how to solve for Beta in the given equation, as well as finding the total energy of the system. The concept of kinetic and potential energy was also discussed in relation to the objects' motion.
anti404
for our lab last Thursday, we inclined a plane at 5deg, and rolled down two objects, a solid disk and a hollow cylinder, and recorded their position in time with a ultrasonic sensor and the helpful World in Motion software. with this we calculated the object's velocity at certain intervals in Excel, and then calculated these velocity values squared.
we then plotted these v^2 values(y axis) versus the position at which they occurred, or the distance from the sensor at which they occurred(x axis). we then found the slope of this graph.

now, we are somehow supposed to use the following equation to find the so called "Beta value" and compare it to the actual "Beta values", which represents the distribution of masses.
equation: v^2=[2gsin(angle)/(1+Beta)]d+2[Etot/M(1+Beta)].
but honestly, I have no idea how we are supposed to do so --> note, our professor is literally an entire chapter behind the lab. in our actual lecture class, so I've no idea what's going on here.

for the above equation, we have the angle value, know g[ravity], determined the masses, and have the slope of the v^2 vs. position graph.
however, I've got no idea what this slope value represents, as far as our equation is concerned. Likewise, if we are to solve for Beta in the above equation, I wouldn't know how to find Etot, or the total energy of the system. but my biggest question is what that slope value actually represents, because that may make everything far simpler to understand.

phew. that looks as a gibberish mess, but if anyone could possibly provide me with any understanding of these concepts, I would greatly appreciate it - maybe even enough to bake you a(n) (imaginary) cookie.

thanks for any insight, or for just looking,
Justin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When a disk, cylinder, sphere of radius R rolls with speed v (this is the speed of the centre of mass) the angular velocity is w=v/R . Both translation and rotation contribute to the kinetic energy.

The rotational KE is RE = 1/2 I w^2. For a body of axial symmetry and homogeneous mass distribution,

[tex]I=\beta M R^2[/tex]

and w=v/R in case of rolling, so

[tex]RE=0.5 (\beta M R^2) v^2/R^2 = 0.5 \beta M v^2[/tex]

The total KE is the sum of the translational KE and the rotational energy:

[tex]KE=0.5 Mv^2+ 0.5 \beta M v^2= 0.5 M(1+\beta ) v^2[/tex]

So the KE of a rolling object is as if its mass was increased because of its moment of inertia. The total energy is the sum of the KE and the potential energy, PE=Mgh. You can express the height with x and the angle of the slope.

ehild

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined based on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is typically represented as I = ∑mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and distribution of mass?

The distribution of mass in an object affects its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but distributed closer to the axis of rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines how easily it can be rotated. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate and will have a slower rotational motion compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in engineering and physics, as it helps in understanding the behavior of rotating machinery and objects. It is also used in the design of structures and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure their stability and optimal performance.