Moment of Inertia + Energy question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
darkspym7
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform rod of mass 3 kg is 17 m long. The rod is pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless pin at the end of a thin extension (of negligible mass) a distance 17 m from the center of mass of the rod. Initially the rod makes an angle of 66◦ with the horizontal. The rod is released from rest at an angle of 66◦ with the horizontal, as shown in the figure below The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
Hint: The moment of inertia of the rod about its center-of-mass is Icm = 1/12mL^2.

What is the angular speed of the rod at the instant the rod is in a horizontal position?
Answer in units of rad/s.


Homework Equations


U=mgh
K=1/2Iw^2


The Attempt at a Solution


The moment of inertia I got for the whole system was:
I=M(L/2)^2+1/12ML^2
I've managed to get:
w=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{6gh}{L^2}}}[/tex], with w being the angular speed
But I am unsure if h is L*sin(theta) or (3/2L)*sin(theta), since the rod is off the pivot.

Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the figure that went along with it:

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9987/hw10q1ex1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator: