Moment of inertia of a spherical segment

In summary: The integral you are trying to do (I think) is:\displaystyle\int_R\left(\int_{z=1}^2 z\left(\int_{r=0}^{9-z^2} r^3 dr\right) dr\right)\rho^2\,dV
bobred

Homework Statement

Am I going about this the right way?
There is a sphere of radius 3 and a region that lies between the planes [tex]z=1[/tex] and [tex]z=2[/tex] and has a density of [tex]cz[/tex]. We are asked to work in cylindrical coordinates.

Homework Equations

Let [tex]\rho=\sqrt{9-z^2}[/tex], is the following the right formula?

[tex]I=\displaystyle{\int_R}cz\rho^2\,dV[/tex] where [tex]dV=\rho\,d\theta\,d\rho\,dz[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Would this be the integral?

[tex]I=2\pi c z\displaystyle{\int^2_1}\displaystyle{\int^{\sqrt{9-z^2}}_0}\rho^3\,d\rho\,dz[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bobred said:

Homework Statement

There is a sphere of radius 3 and a region that lies between the planes [tex]z=1[/tex] and [tex]z=2[/tex] and has a density of [tex]cz[/tex]. We are asked to work in cylindrical coordinates.
Are we to assume that the center of the sphere is at (0, 0, 0)?[/quote]

Homework Equations

Let [tex]\rho=\sqrt{9-z^2}[/tex], is the following the right formula?[/quote]
Normally, there is no "[itex]\rho[/itex]" in cylindrical coordinates. Do you mean "[itex]r= \sqrt{9- z^2}[/itex]". Assuming the sphere has center at (0, 0, 0), yes, that is correct.

[tex]I=\displaystyle{\int_R}cz\rho^2\,dV[/tex] where [tex]dV=\rho\,d\theta\,d\rho\,dz[/tex]

[tex]I=2\pi c z\displaystyle{\int^2_1}\displaystyle{\int^{\sqrt{9-z^2}}_0}\rho^3\,d\rho\,dz[/tex]

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Well, you don't have the "z" outside the integral: you should have
[tex]2\pi c\int_{z= 1}^2 z\left(\int_{r= 0}^{9- z^2} r^3 dr\right) dz[/tex]

bobred said:

Homework Statement

Are we to assume that the center of the sphere is at (0, 0, 0)?[/quote]

Homework Equations

Let [tex]\rho=\sqrt{9-z^2}[/tex], is the following the right formula?
Normally, there is no "[itex]\rho[/itex]" in cylindrical coordinates. Do you mean "[itex]r= \sqrt{9- z^2}[/itex]". Assuming the sphere has center at (0, 0, 0), yes, that is correct.

Thanks
Well, you can't have the "z" outside the integral: you should have
[tex]2\pi c\int_{z= 1}^2 z\left(\int_{r= 0}^{9- z^2} r^3 dr\right) dz[/tex]

Thanks, the z should have been iinside and it is centered at the origin

James

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a spherical segment?

The moment of inertia of a spherical segment can be calculated using the formula: I = (2/3)mr2sin2(θ/2), where m is the mass of the segment, r is the radius of the sphere, and θ is the central angle of the segment in radians.

2. What is the difference between a spherical segment and a hemisphere?

A spherical segment is a portion of a sphere that is cut off by a plane, while a hemisphere is a half of a sphere. This means that a spherical segment has a flat base, while a hemisphere has a curved base.

3. How does the moment of inertia of a spherical segment change with different values of mass and radius?

The moment of inertia of a spherical segment is directly proportional to both the mass and the square of the radius. This means that as either the mass or the radius increases, the moment of inertia will also increase.

4. What are the applications of understanding the moment of inertia of a spherical segment?

Understanding the moment of inertia of a spherical segment is important in engineering and physics, particularly in the design of rotating structures such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. It also plays a role in the stability and balance of objects.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia of a spherical segment?

The moment of inertia of a spherical segment can be affected by the mass, radius, and shape of the segment. Additionally, the orientation of the segment with respect to the axis of rotation and the distribution of mass within the segment can also impact its moment of inertia.