Moment of inertia of a squARE lamina

Therefore, the total moment of inertia for the square lamina is M·L2/6 + M·L2/2 = M·L2/3. In summary, a square lamina made of 4 uniform thin rods has a total moment of inertia of M·L2/3, with two rods having a moment of inertia of M·L2/6 and the other two having a moment of inertia of M·L2/2. This is calculated by taking into account the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation for each rod.
ZxcvbnM2000
a square lamina is made of 4 uniform thin rods each of which was a moment of inertia Ml^2 /12 about an axis perpendicular to their length and passing through their centres.

My way of understanding it is the following : the two rods to whom the axis of rotation is perpendicular and passes through their centres have a total moment of inertia:

2*(1/12)*M*(L/2)^2 so ML^2 / 24 .

The rest two thin rods who are parallel to the axis of rotation are again rotating "forming a cylinder" and are L/2 away from the axis of rotation ( perpendicular distance ).So

the total is : 2 * ML^2/24 = ML^2 / 12 which is the moment of inertia of each rod .

Is my thinking correct ? If not could you please help me understand it ?

Thank you very much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, the moment of inertia I (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html) of the two rods where the axis of rotation passes through their center is I = M·L2/12, so for two of them it is M·L2/6.
For each rod parallel to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia is M·(L/2)2 = M·L2/4 , so for two it is M·L2/2.

What is the moment of inertia of a square lamina?

The moment of inertia of a square lamina is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the lamina by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia of a square lamina different from other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a square lamina is different from other shapes because it depends on the distribution of mass within the object. A square lamina has a uniform distribution of mass, while other shapes may have different distributions.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a square lamina?

The moment of inertia of a square lamina is affected by its mass, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the shape of the object. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the lamina.

How is the moment of inertia of a square lamina calculated?

The moment of inertia of a square lamina can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * (a^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the lamina and a and b are the sides of the square.

Why is the moment of inertia of a square lamina important?

The moment of inertia of a square lamina is important in understanding the rotational motion of the object. It is used in various equations related to rotational dynamics and can help in determining the stability and strength of the object.