1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a squARE lamina

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    a square lamina is made of 4 uniform thin rods each of which was a moment of inertia Ml^2 /12 about an axis perpendicular to their length and passing through their centres.

My way of understanding it is the following : the two rods to whom the axis of rotation is perpendicular and passes through their centres have a total moment of inertia:

2*(1/12)*M*(L/2)^2 so ML^2 / 24 .

The rest two thin rods who are parallel to the axis of rotation are again rotating "forming a cylinder" and are L/2 away from the axis of rotation ( perpendicular distance ).So

the total is : 2 * ML^2/24 = ML^2 / 12 which is the moment of inertia of each rod .

Is my thinking correct ? If not could you please help me understand it ?

Thank you very much :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    As you say, the moment of inertia I (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html) of the two rods where the axis of rotation passes through their center is I = M·L2/12, so for two of them it is M·L2/6.
    For each rod parallel to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia is M·(L/2)2 = M·L2/4 , so for two it is M·L2/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook