Moment of Inertia power plant energy

In summary, a conversation took place discussing the possibility of using power plants to generate energy in off-hours and storing it in large flywheels. The question was posed about the necessary length of a hollow cylinder flywheel, with specific dimensions and stability requirements, to store a certain amount of energy. After some calculations and a discussion about the moment of inertia and volume of an annulus, it was determined that the volume formula used was incorrect and the correct formula should have been V=V(outside)-V(inside).
462chevelle
Gold Member

Homework Statement

It has been suggested that we should use our power plants to generate energy in the off-hours (such as late at night) and store it for use during the day. One idea put forward is to store the energy in large flywheels. Suppose we want to build such a flywheel in the shape of a hollow cylinder of inner radius 0.420m and outer radius 1.45m , using concrete of density 2150kg/m3

If, for stability, such a heavy flywheel is limited to 1.35 second for each revolution and has negligible friction at its axle, what must be its length to store 2.20MJ of energy in its rotational motion?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2Iw^2
I=1/2(m)(R^2+R^2) the 2 different R's here
d=m/v
V=pir^2*L

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged the moment of inertia formula into KE.
to get: KE=1/2(1/2*m(R^2+R^2))w^2
to get w i took 2pi/1.35
so i end up with 2.2e6=1/2(1/2)m(.42^2+1.45^2)*4.65^2
solving for m i end up with
(4*2.2e6)/(2.2789*4.65^2)=m
m=178588kg
since density is 2150 i took
2150=178588/v
solved for v and got 83m^3
took V=pi*1.45^2*L
I got 12.5 for my length, seems to be the incorrect answer
ive tried a few different things, but this method is the most logical for me
Does anyone see anything obvious wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've taken the volume of a solid cylinder.

Mickey Tee said:
You've taken the volume of a solid cylinder.
Not exactly. chevelle has taken two solid cylinders and added them.
chevelle, the shape is an annulus, a solid cylinder with a concentric cylinder removed. The easiest way to deal with this, if you don't know the specific formula, is to treat it as the difference of two solid cylinders of the same density. What are the mass and moment of inertia of a solid cylinder radius r, length l, density ##\rho##.

Chevelle probably checked wiki for the moment of inertia of an annulus like I did, haha.

Mickey Tee said:
Chevelle probably checked wiki for the moment of inertia of an annulus like I did, haha.
Doesn't look that way from what was posted.

I used the formula in the book that is given for a hollow cylinder, I=1/2m(1R^2+2R^2). The 1 and 2 aren't coefficients, I'm just showing r1 and r2.
haruspex said:
What are the mass and moment of inertia of a solid cylinder radius r, length l, density ρ\rho.
solid cylinder is just 1/2mr^2
the mass would just be the density*volume

If we integrate from r2 to r1 we get 1/2m(r1^2 - r2^2) right?

It should be plus, but other than that yes. That's what I'm using

Alright, I figured it out. Instead of using the volume formula like I was I should have been using.
V=V(outside)-V(inside)

thanks for the help.

Apologies, your formula for the MoI of the annulus is correct. I should have checked.Mickey Tee was right in the first place - it's your calculation of the volume that's wrong.

1. What is moment of inertia in relation to power plant energy?

Moment of inertia refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In the context of power plant energy, it is the property that determines how quickly a power plant can respond to changes in energy demand.

2. How does moment of inertia affect the stability of a power plant?

The moment of inertia of a power plant plays a critical role in its stability. A higher moment of inertia means that the power plant can withstand sudden changes in energy demand without significant fluctuations in its output. This results in a more stable and reliable power supply.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a power plant be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a power plant can be changed by altering the mass and distribution of the rotating components. This can be achieved by adding or removing flywheels, changing the shape of the turbines, or adjusting the size of the generators.

4. How does moment of inertia affect the efficiency of a power plant?

A higher moment of inertia can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of a power plant. This is because a larger moment of inertia requires more energy to accelerate or decelerate the rotating components, resulting in higher energy losses. However, having a higher moment of inertia can also lead to improved stability and reliability, which can offset this decrease in efficiency.

5. Is there a standard moment of inertia for power plants?

No, there is no standard moment of inertia for power plants as it can vary depending on the type and size of the plant. However, power plant designers typically aim to achieve a balance between moment of inertia and efficiency to ensure optimal performance and stability.