Derivation of the moment of inertia of a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the moment of inertia for a cylinder and a sphere using different methods. The speaker is having trouble with the shell method approach for the sphere and is seeking help to find the correct approach. The problem lies in mixing up the meaning of 'r' in the equations, which leads to a non-trivial integration. The correct approach for determining the moment of inertia for a sphere is using the volume element and distance to the axis.
SHawking
First, this is not a homework assignment even though it may seem like a homework type question.

I have no problem with the derivation of the moment of inertia of a cylinder but am having more trouble with a sphere. I completely understand the often referenced disk method, but, I would like to take a shell method approach. THe following work is wrong conceptually, I think mathematically it is fine, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I don't see what one would need to do it using discs, and am assuming that some slight variation on the following should work:
I=[tex]\int[/tex]r2dm
p=dm/dv
dvp=dm
I=[tex]\int[/tex]r2pdv
v=4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r3
dv=4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2dr
I=[tex]\int[/tex]r2p4[tex]\pi[/tex]r^2dr
I=4[tex]\pi[/tex]p[tex]\int[/tex]r^4dr (Evluated between 0 and R)
I=4[tex]\pi[/tex]pR5/5
p=m/v=m/(4/3 [tex]\pi[/tex] r3)
Plugging that in and simplifying I get
I=3/5mr2, though I need 2/5mr2.
I think the problem lies in my set up, conceptually, and that I need to set up an equation somewhere subtracting two values (R from r?) though I am not sure.

If you could help me out I would really appreciate it.

And again, I understand and have no problem with the disk method for this, I am just trying to figure out what this method is not working.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you are mixing up two meanings of 'r'.

SHawking said:
I=[tex]\int[/tex]r2dm
Here 'r' refers to the distance from the axis of rotation.
v=4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r3
Here 'r' refers to the radius of the sphere. Big difference!

That's why using a 'shell method' is not such a good idea. What's the moment of inertia of a shell? The various parts are all at different distances from the axis, so it's not a trivial integration.

For the record, here is one way how you should proceed to determine the moment of inertia of a ballof radius R:

Volume element:
[tex]dv=r^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}{d\theta}dr[/tex]
Distance d to axis:
[tex]d=r\sin\phi[/tex]
Thus,
[tex]I=\int{d}^{2}dm=\rho\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}r^{4}\sin^{3}\phi{d\theta}{d\phi}dr=2\pi\rho\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}r^{4}(\sin\theta-\sin\theta\cos^{2}\theta)d\phi{dr}=2\pi\rho\int_{0}^{R}r^{4}(2-\frac{2}{3})dr=\frac{8\pi\rho}{3}\int_{0}^{R}r^{4}dr=\frac{2}{5}Mr^{2}[/tex]

Last edited:

FAQ: Derivation of the moment of inertia of a cylinder

What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder is I = ½ * mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

How is the moment of inertia of a cylinder derived?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder is derived by first considering the cylinder as a series of infinitesimally thin discs stacked on top of each other. Each disc has its own moment of inertia, which is then summed up using the parallel axis theorem to account for the distance between the disc and the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is an important concept in the study of rotational dynamics and is used to calculate the angular acceleration of a cylinder when a torque is applied to it.

Does the shape of the cylinder affect its moment of inertia?

Yes, the shape of the cylinder does affect its moment of inertia. A solid cylinder has a higher moment of inertia than a hollow cylinder with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is distributed farther away from the axis of rotation in a solid cylinder, making it more difficult to rotate.

Can the moment of inertia of a cylinder be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cylinder can be changed by altering its mass or distribution of mass. For example, adding weight to one end of the cylinder will increase its moment of inertia, while removing weight from the other end will decrease it. Additionally, changing the shape of the cylinder can also affect its moment of inertia.

Back